News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

Auction Talk / Re: eBay's Trying to Fix What ...
Last post by TelePlay - December 07, 2022, 07:29:29 AM

Thanks, didn't know that. Makes sense eBay would have that provision for the high volume, commercial sellers on eBay that buy wholesale and sell retail.

And those sellers would have both the inventory holding (acquisition and withdrawal) setup along with an accounting system to record their sales on ways that meet IRS requirements, something small personal sellers may not be doing.

Telephone Troubleshooting and Repair / Re: Help with connecting an AE...
Last post by poplar1 - December 07, 2022, 05:53:29 AM

Do you know for certain that the receiver is good? You can connect it to a battery to hear the click, or check resistance with a voltmeter. Also check the cords for continuity.

Electrically, it doesn't matter which of the 2 pulsing contact goes to the hookswitch, since (unlike later AE circuits) there is no strap connecting the pulsing contacts to the shunt contacts. However, I am sure that originally a certain one went to terminal 3 and the other to terminal 4. Your dial is older than the one used in most AE 21s.

I don't know about the receiver hookup, if different from the original AE diagram  for use with AE subset. I haven't studied the first diagram I posted enough to know if any changes were made in the phone, other than adding a 4th conductor in the cord to the subset. Some of the AE collectors will be able to tell us, for example, if there are sidetone AE21s and anti-sidetone. (With WE it's easy to tell by whether there are 3 conductors (ST) or 4 conductors (AST) to the subset.)

I am more familiar with Western Electric equipment. Connecting a WE sidetone candlestick to an anti-sidetone subset or 302 base doesn't work well because there are not enough contacts in the hookswitch.
Last post by Tonpat - December 07, 2022, 05:40:40 AM
Yes Poplar1,
My phone does have a terminal strip with 8 terminals. I've also come across that diagram and another one which says if connected to an anti-sidetone (which I assume the 302 is one such subset) then the receiver should be connected to 5 and 7 on the terminals - is that correct? Going back to the pulsing springs again what is not clear to me is which contact should be connected to the hookswitch at the terminal strip (when looking physically at the dial, like in the picture I've provided.

Thanks
Last post by poplar1 - December 07, 2022, 05:05:32 AM
Quote from: TelePlay on December 07, 2022, 12:57:33 AMeBay now collects sales tax based on my buyer's location and eBay collects sales tax on everything I buy at my local rate.

eBay made that easier but how would they know I was buying something for resale with a resellers permit and should be tax free?

I am guessing that you could have separate ebay accounts: one for stuff you are buying to keep. Another for what you are buying for resale. You would list items for sale in this second account.

Or, you could buy all for resale, then pay the use tax on items you decide to keep.

From GA Dept. of Revenue:
Example: A retailer buys light bulbs tax free under terms of resale to sell in her store. She takes the light bulbs out of inventory to light up the store. She now owes sales tax on the price for which she purchased the bulbs. The sales tax in this case is commonly referred to as "use tax" because it is not paid at the point of sale, but accrued at the time of use.

Currently, I am selling mostly on Ebay. The best part of that is that they "collect" the sales tax from buyer. (I'm not sure they should be charging 12.9% commission on sales tax, but at least seller doesn't have to calculate it.) I also like the free pickup service by USPS, and their free supplies, especially the regional "A" flat rate boxes.

Last post by poplar1 - December 07, 2022, 04:29:16 AM
Does your phone have a terminal strip with 8 terminals? The diagram I got from TCI is a schematic that does not include the terminals. With the terminal strip, connections are not made directly from the hookswitch to the dial. The pulsing contacts are connected to Terminal 3 and Terminal 4.

Electrically, it doesn't matter which of the 2 pulsing contact goes to the hookswitch, since (unlike later AE circuits) there is no strap connecting the pulsing contacts to the shunt contacts. However, I am sure that originally a certain one went to terminal 3 and the other to terminal 4.

It looks like someone created the diagram for use with WE 302 base by modifying this diagram (see attachment):
Last post by RDPipes - December 07, 2022, 03:55:14 AM
Quote from: poplar1 on December 07, 2022, 12:00:52 AM12.9% of the item sold + 12.9% of the sales tax + 12.9% of the shipping + $0.30 = about 20% of what the item only sold for.

Gees, I didn't realize they're taking that much, God only asks for ten percent.
But, Big Business has always thought they were above God.
Last post by Tonpat - December 07, 2022, 01:53:55 AM
Hi Guys,
Attached is the additional picture you asked for plus a couple more. Going back to the diagram provided by Poplar1 - thanks Poplar1, it is obvious that one contact of the pulsing springs is connected to a hookswitch contact, however looking at the picture of the dial I've provided, please confirm which of the two pulsing springs contact should be connected to the hookswitch.

Thanks
Tonpat
Find of the Month / Re: Find of the Month November...
Last post by SUnset2 - December 07, 2022, 01:47:10 AM
Thank you.  It's unfortunate that there weren't more entries this month.
Last post by TelePlay - December 07, 2022, 12:57:33 AM
In my state that is called a Sales and Use Permit obtained by opening an account with my State Agency. The permit can be used to purchase items and materials tax free if the materials are to be used with the purpose of selling a product including those materials as part of the cost of goods sold for hopefully a profit - something that does not always happen in an auction type sale.

A copy of the tax exempt permit must be given to the seller to justify they did not collect sales tax on their Sales and Use business sales tax filing.

When buying, eBay, for example, adds sales tax using my state/county/municipality tax rate and sends that tax collected to my state tax agency - the line on my tax return for online purchases will be under $5 this year, it was near $200 last year.

When buying I don't know how one would keep eBay from collecting a sales tax from me when if I still had my Sales and Use Tax permit since half my eBay purchases would be tax exempt, for resale, and the other half for personal use and taxable.

When I had my reseller permit, I had to file a separate tax return to the state to pay the sales taxes I collected from buyers on my resale items. I had to collect the sales tax at the rate the buyer would pay where they lived and had to paid that tax collected to their state (possibly 50 individual State sales tax filings). With cities and counties laying extra sales taxes on top of state taxes, it made it a  nightmare to figure out how much to collect and just (here State tax is 5% plus 0.5% county sales tax plus a 0.25% 3 county entertainment tax). Four counties over from me, the sales tax is 5.15%). If it was an out of State sale, I would have to know the buyers sales tax rate. Got around that  problem by never selling out of state.

eBay now collects sales tax based on my buyer's location and eBay collects sales tax on everything I buy at my local rate.

eBay made that easier but how would they know I was buying something for resale with a resellers permit and should be tax free?

The federal government is forcing every person to become a business with full record keeping requirements if they sell from online to flea markets. Record keeping requiring proof of purchase price of the item to be resold before allowing that cost of goods sold to be deducted from the selling price.

As you said, other than shipping and fees, unless one invested a lot of time and money into a complete bookkeeping system, the cost of an item sold is $0 and the selling price is pure profit.

I have been filling a Schedule C every year for a decade. Will do so again but unsure how to handle the cost of goods for stuff sold.

They really want to collect every penny plus the penny penalty we will pay for not having sales receipts for purchases now being sold many years after the original purchase.

I suspect this will have a huge chilling effect on individuals selling small volumes each year, easier to give it away or trash it than hire a bookkeeper and tax lawyer.

Last post by poplar1 - December 07, 2022, 12:00:52 AM
Quote from: RDPipes on November 25, 2022, 06:37:55 PMThey take a percentage of your sale and any listing fees, I think close to 10% nowadays.
I always list in Collectables or Antiques and they never charge a listing fee for those categories.
12.9% of the item sold + 12.9% of the sales tax + 12.9% of the shipping + $0.30 = about 20% of what the item only sold for.