News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

Dial Repair & Lubrication / Re: Dial Maintenance and Repai...
Last post by Contempra - December 05, 2022, 07:45:16 PM
Quote from: TelePlay on December 05, 2022, 02:07:04 PMOf all the dials I've done, regardless of manufacturer, the main spring has always been pre-set at 1.25 to 1.5 turns. Determined that by counting the number of turns the spring had after removing the dial stop (and holding onto the spring when releasing the stop to allow the main spring to release all of its energy, unwind, while counting the turns and partial turns).

Hoo boy! thanks. the last one that I completely reassembled the 'dial' I made 3 complete turns :) Thank you for the advice because it will be useful to me in the future. But I can say that the one I did 3 times on it, it works wonderfully and I have no problems with it, no wrong number except for the time I had placed the "CAM" wrong Oh my! I'm not telling you! :D
Collector's Corner / Re: French Eurieult Type 10
Last post by RDPipes - December 05, 2022, 06:38:59 PM
Quote from: countryman on December 05, 2022, 05:36:27 PMTo me, it melts down to Ebonite, hard rubber. It is normally black, but lighter versions seem to exist. It has the comfortable touch that this phone base has, and was well known by the time. Protected from direct sunlight it can easily last over 100 years without major deterioration.

You be surprised that Ebonite comes in a lot of different colors nowdays. Being that I use to be a pipe maker I used Ebonite extensively for making pipe stems. It comes in blues, reds, swirls, greens, pinks, etc. etc. Here are some samples of some of the colors.
Last post by countryman - December 05, 2022, 05:36:27 PM
Ivorine...
never heard it before, what is it? The name has never been registered as a trade mark and appears in a context with several types of man-made materials:
-Galalith. It was quite new around 1910, and the Jura, next to the aforementioned historic "Sequanaise" region, was a center of it's development. But it can't be pressed or cast, it is made in relatively thin sheets and then carved for buttons, costume jewelry, knife handles,...
The phone base looks cast or pressed, and is thick. Also, Galalith must be stored dry to last such a long time, a problem for collectors of pens made from this material.
-Celluloid (cellulose nitrate). It was well known by the time, including its extreme flammability. Bad idea for an electric instrument, isn't it?
-Bakelite. It was brand new by the time and could have been made in mottled brown. But FABphone's photos also show lighter varieties, which cannot be made from phenolic resin. Light coloured Melamin-formaldehyde resins are also often called Bakelite, but appeared later. Even more, my object just does not feel like Bakelite.

To me, it melts down to Ebonite, hard rubber. It is normally black, but lighter versions seem to exist. It has the comfortable touch that this phone base has, and was well known by the time. Protected from direct sunlight it can easily last over 100 years without major deterioration.
More modern plastics like Tenite, ABS,... may feel similar, but came up much later.

I wonder how I could provide evidence to either option without destroying the object?
It can be assumed that this is one of the earliest "plastic" phones.
Hi and Welcome to the forum. You have found the best forum on the net. Yes, we always need pictures. Besides giving more info to help with your question we just like to look at phones ;D 
Dial Repair & Lubrication / Re: Dial Maintenance and Repai...
Last post by TelePlay - December 05, 2022, 02:07:04 PM
Quote from: Contempra on December 05, 2022, 08:47:31 AM. . . I never knew how many turns the central spring should be. but I'm still successful and I've never had any problems making and receiving calls to date.

Of all the dials I've done, regardless of manufacturer, the main spring has always been pre-set at 1.25 to 1.5 turns.

Determined that by counting the number of turns the spring had after removing the dial stop (and holding onto the spring when releasing the stop to allow the main spring to release all of its energy, unwind, while counting the turns and partial turns).

When dialing "0," that would put about 2 to 2.3 turns into the main spring, plenty of energy to allow the governor to spin fast enough to properly control the dial's pulsing speed when the finger wheel is released.
Telephone Troubleshooting and Repair / Re: Help with connecting an AE...
Last post by poplar1 - December 05, 2022, 01:10:29 PM
Please provide a photo of the hookswitch contacts (side view). I think there are different variations of the AE 21 with different hookswitches. If you have a 4-contact switch with 2 sets of contacts, then this diagram may help. (From TCI Library)
Last post by countryman - December 05, 2022, 12:32:51 PM
It's always interesting to look up the addresses which are invariably given on any of these phones: 3 Rue d'Athènes here. It seems any phone maker had a  Paris address. I wonder if these were production sites or just prestigious offices? "La Sequanaise" apparently refers to the Besançon region, or Gallic folk settling there in the Roman age.

Telephone Troubleshooting and Repair / Help with connecting an AE21 t...
Last post by Tonpat - December 05, 2022, 12:32:27 PM
Hi everybody,

I am the newbie both on the forum as well as on the subject. I have an AE 21 with the following hookswitch and dial combinations and wiring (see attachment). I've learned from your posts that a 302 base can be used as a cheap subset. I wanted to use such a subset with this AE 21. Through my research and all the posts I've gone through, I haven't come across any dealing directly with this problem or any diagram which links such a phone with a 302 subset with 4 cords connection (according to the subset), except a post by Kevin Lane started in May 2011 asking for help with this very problem but then somehow they got into WE 202 technical diagram which for me it did not help.
Grateful for any help with this by sharing with me a diagram indicating the 4 cords connection on the telephone side and on the subset side if such a setup is at all possible of course.

Please note that up to now I've tried all the combinations trying to link the phone with the 302 base via the 4 cords connection. Referring to the attached diagram current connection and with the fourth cord connected to 8 and at other points on the phone I have succeeded in only being able to;
a) dial another phone,
b) received call from another phone
where the phone has only ring in both direction but no conversation was able to be made
And most significantly there is NO Dial Tone.
Any help would be much appreciated.

It is also to be noted that during my trials I have not necessarily respected the colour indicating the wires/cords but rather follow the connection points.

Thank you for accepting me onboard

Regards
Tonpat
Number/Dial Cards / North Galion Studio Dial Card
Last post by Doug Rose - December 05, 2022, 10:54:11 AM
I have had this phone forever and fellow member DanielB had the same phone with the appropriate dial card. I have enclosed it for you to download....Doug