News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

I picked up these relays from Madhouse a couple years back,  getting ready to incorporate them into my switch

Looking ofr info on these numbers

UE9AE Line
UR9AT Lockout
UR9AR Cut Off

Thanks. 
General Discussion / Re: Princess® output sound is ...
Last post by poplar1 - January 28, 2023, 10:45:02 PM
82102 date is the 102nd day of 1982.

Do you have a 4228 network or a 4293?
Collector's Corner / Premier Telecom model 2600 - T...
Last post by del20nd - January 28, 2023, 10:18:26 PM
The other day at thrift I found something I'd never seen before: a Premier Telecom model 2600.

We've all seen plenty of Trimline knockoffs, but this one is probably the closest I've come across in terms of look and feel. In fact, aside from the badging, it's pretty much indistinguishable from the genuine desktop model.

The base is made of solid metal just like the genuine article. It has almost the right heft to it as well, though the stickers and the 1990/1991 date stamps on the underside betray it for what it is.

Internally, it's quite a bit different from an original Trimline, and much closer to a Premier 2500 in terms of components. It still makes use of a bell, carbon microphone, and what appears to be the same modular speaker as a 2500 with an adapter fitted, but everything is simplified and in some cases cheapened. The hook switch is an off-the-shelf microswitch for example.

Still, the construction of this thing is by no means cheap. Most striking to me is the curved circuit board it uses in the handset. That's not something most companies would engineer if they were on a budget.

The one other thing that struck me about this particular phone is how it hasn't yellowed at all.  It was either stuck away in a box for a very long time or won the plastic formulation lottery, but all of the parts, including the cord, are 100% clean and matching.

This phone is interesting to me because I've seen plenty about the 2500/2554 Premier phones, but this one seems to be completely under the radar. I tried to find any information I could, or even just evidence of one being sold at auction, but so far I haven't found anything. There's some mention of a model 2700 Trimline knockoff when I search these forums, but it seems to be a completely different product from what little information I can find.

Anyway, I thought I'd share some pictures. At the very least, maybe if someone else ever finds one of these and googles it, at least one relevant search result will pop up :)
One trick that you can do is add a one diode to one of the buzzer pairs in the phone. This will make the sound of the buzzer different and sound like a burp.
Last post by Robert Gift - January 28, 2023, 07:30:18 PM
Quote from: Contempra on January 28, 2023, 12:14:36 PMOkay , it's possible , try to find if the connections are correctly arranged for a modern telephone line before replacing the transmitter and or the receiver. Often, a badly connected or badly placed wire can also be the cause. This is also to be checked.
Thank you.
Connected as usual single line.  GREEN L1    RED L2
(6.5 VDC to Yellow and Black)
While in the handset, I knocked the carbon granule microphone against my knee several times in case the granules were becoming compacted - if that happens.

Earpiece sounds fine.
Collector's Corner / Mahogany AE 4 Prong
Last post by Doug Rose - January 28, 2023, 03:47:19 PM
I know I am in WE country, but this is the First AE 4 Prong I have seen besides Ivory.

In 40 years of collecting AE 4 prongs are a tough find for me.

Perfect for my Mahogany AE 40 I am waiting for  ::)  ...Doug
Last post by Contempra - January 28, 2023, 12:14:36 PM
Quote from: Robert Gift on January 28, 2023, 09:38:35 AMThank you.
The Princess appears little used - as though from a guest bedroom.
Very clean inside.  Ifrom our area, is low humidity.  All connections look clean.
Shall try other phone transmitters in the handset to hear if any difference.
(My attempto post photos phailed.)

Okay , it's possible , try to find if the connections are correctly arranged for a modern telephone line before replacing the transmitter and or the receiver. Often, a badly connected or badly placed wire can also be the cause. This is also to be checked.
Technical "Stuff" / Re: Dialor 2 number order swit...
Last post by bolt - January 28, 2023, 11:57:06 AM
I tracked down the actual creator mentioned in the documentation, known as cyg999 and send off an email.
This is what I got back:

QuoteHello, dial  9  and hold it for about 10 seconds, then let it go.
DIALOR2 will recognize your telephone. If the type of DIALOR2
 you bought is GLOBAL.

I tried it on my board, and with a 9876543210 phone. It went "beep", then actually switched. It works! :D
Last post by RDPipes - January 28, 2023, 11:37:21 AM
Quote from: Robert Gift on January 28, 2023, 09:38:35 AMThank you.
The Princess appears little used - as though from a guest bedroom.
Very clean inside.  Ifrom our area, is low humidity.  All connections look clean.
Shall try other phone transmitters in the handset to hear if any difference.
(My attempto post photos phailed.)

Look here, How to Post Photos on CRPF