News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 3 Slot Payphone can dial out, won't ring. (LPB 86 55)

Started by wanderingemperor, December 06, 2022, 10:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderingemperor

Greetings everyone. I'm new to the forum after googling help with trying to get my AE Payphone to ring. I found a thread here that mentioned connecting 2 leads from the ringer to L1 and L2, and the other two leads to A and K. When I do this, I get a busy signal when calling the line. The two blue wires from the board originally ran to L1 and A. No ringing, but I can dial out fine. No matter what orientation I place the two other leads all I get is a busy signal.

I did a few searches here and wasnt able to find anything directly related to my issue, however; it is late so it's very possible I missed it. Any help you all can offer would be greatly appreciated.

note - under the yellow tape on the ringer are two more terminals. Those are the ones I have tried hooking up to A and K with no luck. The two blue wires from the ringer are currently going to A and L1.

poplar1

The directions for connecting red and black ringer wires to L2 and L1, and the other two ringer wires to A and K, are correct for a C4A Western Electric ringer. They do *not* apply to WE Trimline ringers, WE Princess ringers, or AE ringers like the one shown in your phone.

Instead, you will only use 2 ringer wires. If they are on L1 and A, then run a jumper wire from L2 to K.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wanderingemperor

Thanks poplar1, I still got the busy signal when I did that. Upon further inspection, there was already a jumper between L1 and A. So I moved the ringer wires to L1 and L2, then a jumper from A to K. Now I have a ringer! Thanks again for the quick response and pointing me in the right direction.

poplar1

This may still busy out the line. Putting a jumper between A and K just puts a short in parallel with the capacitor, and the capacitor is not even connected.

If you have a jumper from L1 to A, then you need to put one ringer wire on K and the other ringer wire on L2. This puts the ringer in series with the capacitor.

wanderingemperor

Good to know. I tested it a few times in my config with a jumper from A - K and it worked, no busy. I took your suggestion -> Ringer to L2 and K, that works well too. Thank you.

Can you explain why putting that short in parallel with the capacitor seemingly worked?

Also, is there a diagram that explains what the connections on the board are? R, RR, A, K, C, G, etc.

Thanks again for your help.

TelePlay

Quote from: wanderingemperor on December 07, 2022, 10:09:47 PMCan you explain why putting that short in parallel with the capacitor seemingly worked?

When on hook, the capacitor allows the line cord (red and green normally) AC ring voltage to pass through the capacitor and ring the ringer, the ring circuit.

The capacitor blocks the talk circuit DC voltage from passing directly from the red and green line cord conductors through the ringer.

While the ringer will work with or without the capacitor being in the ring circuit, in series with the ringer, the capacitor is needed to prevent a DC voltage drain through the ringer.

poplar1

What kind of line do you have?

Network:

A and K are the 0.47 uF capacitor for the ringer.

L1, L2, G, E1, and E2 are "blind terminals" -- they do not have any connections to the components of the network. They are used mainly to connect wires together.
F is a blind terminal in some networks. In others, there is a dial filter between F and RR.

The input to the network is C and RR.
The output is GN (receiver), B (transmitter), and R (one transmitter wire and one receiver wire).

The line is connected to C and RR when the phone is off-hook  and the dial is at rest. Both the hookswitch (when the phone is hung up) and the dial pulsing contacts (corresponding to the digit dialed) open the line.

The ringer circuit (ringer in series with a capacitor) is always connected to the line (unless there are additional hookswitch contacts that open the ringer when the phone is off-hook: Not the case here since you have only 2 wires to the hookswitch).

wanderingemperor

Quote from: TelePlay on December 08, 2022, 06:43:15 AMWhen on hook, the capacitor allows the line cord (red and green normally) AC ring voltage to pass through the capacitor and ring the ringer, the ring circuit.

The capacitor blocks the talk circuit DC voltage from passing directly from the red and green line cord conductors through the ringer.

While the ringer will work with or without the capacitor being in the ring circuit, in series with the ringer, the capacitor is needed to prevent a DC voltage drain through the ringer.

Great, many thanks for the explanation.

wanderingemperor

Quote from: poplar1 on December 08, 2022, 10:18:26 AMWhat kind of line do you have?..

Thanks for the explanation and diagram as well. When you mention line, are you asking the type of phone service I have? If so, its Verizon VoIP.

markosjal

If all else  fails connect the capacitor in series with bell then connect the capacitor/bell across the phone line
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish