News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial plates found on Western Electric Telephones

Started by Sargeguy, November 29, 2013, 09:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallahasseeTom

Thanks guys for the help. I was thinking from where I got that dial and now I recall it was off of an early "D". So, what Jack is saying about the date seems to match up perfectly.  The "1" was slightly faint and there were a couple of fine hairlines in the enamel so I think they seller put an overlay on it. I took te overlay off and found a very good plate. Put on another newer plate and gave it to a young niece who loves the phone and of course cares nothing about the date of the dial plate.   That got me thinking about the 1 30  B1 202 I have on the desk that has an AB stop with a II36 149 plate on it.  It is all original except for the 1936 plate which appears to have been placed on there a very long time ago. Maybe I should put the 132 on it and find another home for the 149 II36.  Sure beats watching the news. Thanks for your help.

Jack Ryan

Always happy to assist but it was unbeldi who mentioned the dates.

Jack

Sargeguy

Just added a few pictures to the 149 "celluloid" section
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

Quote from: Sargeguy on November 29, 2013, 10:28:51 AM
150 dial plates

150 C:  ???

Possible 150C sighting on a 251 set (AB1 tel set mounting) --  found in a 593 box.
Both the 251 and the 593 were probably more often used by independent companies, since they were shipped without ringers. The  local operating companies then added the required frequency selective ringers required for certain kinds of party lines.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Black-Rotary-Dial-Desk-Telephone-Western-Electric-Excellent-Clean-/131843711762
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Tim Mc

I think I just landed a unique #4 dial plate without the "Z" like this one shown at Phonemandave's web site:

unbeldi

Quote from: Tim Mc on July 10, 2016, 05:52:33 PM
I think I just landed a unique #4 dial plate without the "Z" like this one shown at Phonemandave's web site:

The early No. 132 dial number plates for the #4 dial indeed did not have the Z printed on them. The Z was present starting in ca. 1932.

Tim Mc

For any that are curious, here's the specific dial and plate received - a #4 from I-31.  There are no markings on the back, but it does have the three locating pins. I assume this is known as a "#4" and not a "4H".  As for the dial plate, I assume that it's a "4B" or a notched 132B.

poplar1

When equipped with an alphanumeric number plate, your 4H-type dial is designated "4HB."
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jack Ryan

What is the code that distinguishes a notched 132 number plate from one that isn't?

Thanks
Jack

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on July 14, 2016, 07:50:53 PM
What is the code that distinguishes a notched 132 number plate from one that isn't?

Thanks
Jack

There wasn't any special code. It wasn't needed, because there probably was no or very little overlap in production. The notched plates also fit on No. 2 dials, when replacement was needed.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on July 14, 2016, 09:23:42 PM
There wasn't any special code. It wasn't needed, because there probably was no or very little overlap in production. The notched plates also fit on No. 2 dials, when replacement was needed.

Thanks for that. I wondered if WE's numbering diligence extended to changes that were visible but otherwise inconsequential.

Jack

unbeldi

Even the notched 132 plates only had a short lifetime, by ca. 1933 WECo was testing replacements and a year later or so, they had the 149.

Jack Ryan

Yes I knew they were short lived but possibly longer lived than WE would have liked. It seems to have taken 17 attempts to perfect the 149.

I have been told that some un-notched 132 plates were notched by installers on site. That likely happened but I don't know that it was an official procedure. I don't remember seeing a BSP on the subject.

Jack

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on July 14, 2016, 10:26:49 PM
Yes I knew they were short lived but possibly longer lived than WE would have liked. It seems to have taken 17 attempts to perfect the 149.

I have been told that some un-notched 132 plates were notched by installers on site. That likely happened but I don't know that it was an official procedure. I don't remember seeing a BSP on the subject.

Jack

The only number plate maintenance that I remember from the BSPs of the time, and that are available, was to use a KS-...some-number... cloth to wipe it clean.

But I positively know that in 1933 at least some of the repair shops no longer used 132 type plates during refurbishment of candlesticks, at least no longer exclusively.