News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

$20 Soft Plastic Red 500

Started by compubit, March 07, 2015, 03:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

I visited "the DC Big Flea" this morning to see what I could find (not much), but on the first aisle I walked down, I saw a red non-modular 500 set and a $20 sticker on it.  Looking closer, I could see that it was a 7 series dial (based on the dial ring), and on further inspection, it was a 9/56 soft plastic model, complete with soft plastic caps on the handset. The dial turned (though a little sluggish), and  30 seconds later it was paid for.

After getting it home, I took it apart, and it is a matching September 1956 phone in amazing condition.  The only downside is the original line cable was cut at the wall, but with a set of spade lugs will be back to usability.  Connecting it to the Panasonic switch, it dials out (sluggish), rings (with yellow and green connected together on the plug), and sounds great.  Suede feet are in decent condition.  The handset has matching 9/21/56 dates on the transmitter & receiver; the base is dated 9/20/56.

I'm happy (though disappointed about the selection at the show).

Enjoy the pics!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

twocvbloke

Very nice, it's a month younger than my soft red 500, but mine had a split in the plastic housing, so yours is in better condition... :)

WEBellSystemChristian

Wow, what a great find!

Why can't soft red 500s come that easy for me?!? ::)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Dennis Markham

Nice phone, Jim.  I especially like the original dial card.  Great price too.  Congrats.

Sargeguy

I have a red 56 as well.  Only cost me $12 but it has a small crack and no original cords.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Russ Kirk

That's almost my birthday phone, misses it by one month. Are you going to keep it? Or sell it?
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

baldopeacock

Sweet find, especially at $20.   Good eye!

Sargeguy

Mine has a date of 10-56 on the bottom, not a winner!!! :(
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

kleinkaliber

Any flea market that produces soft plastic as nice as that is a good flea market! Love the dial card.