News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

princess 1969

Started by alison, March 15, 2016, 11:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alison

Everything works fine except the incoming caller is very hard to hear.  They hear me fine.
This is a new problem.  I've been using the phone for a couple of years and could hear them fine until recently.
Thanks

unbeldi

Quote from: alison on March 15, 2016, 11:26:04 AM
Everything works fine except the incoming caller is very hard to hear.  They hear me fine.
This is a new problem.  I've been using the phone for a couple of years and could hear them fine until recently.
Thanks

What is the condition of the handset cord?  Has it been kinked lately, did anything heavy drop onto it, has it been overstretched ?

alison

It seems to be fine and nothing has been dropped on it.

unbeldi

Quote from: alison on March 15, 2016, 11:43:43 AM
It seems to be fine and nothing has been dropped on it.

When you pick up the handset and listen, is the dial tone also weak?

Cords and cables are always the weakest infrastructure in electronics, this is still true today with network cords for example, as it was way back.  Unfortunately, when in use they often get the least attention and care.

If you have another handset with cord you could swap it for a test.    Or if you have banana clip cords you could open the set and the receiver cap and apply one each to the receiver terminals and the other ends to the corresponding terminal on the network and place a test call.
The other possibility is that the varistor across the receiver has failed.

poplar1

Is this a Touch-Tone (pushbutton) or rotary dial Princess?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

NorthernElectric

Is this the same phone you posted about in 'low volume in princess 702B'?  If so, have you tried the same fix?
Cliff