and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - April 2016

Started by AE_Collector, March 31, 2016, 12:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - April 2016     *** VOTE FOR ONE ( 1 ) ***

Fabius' Western Electric 551C 1A2 system from a telephone show for $40
Autonut's prototype Contempra Speakerphone from a Thrift Store for $2.50
dsk's Amtszusatz 33 trunk unit for the German WWII field exchange bought online for Nok 1100 (approx $134 USD)
zapper's 1950 Western Electric matching date 500 Desk Telephone on eBay for $52 plus $17 shipping
Pourme's "Craigslist Bonanza" of 20 phones and 4 subsets plus parts and prints for $400 and 4 gallons of petrol

Pourme

Quote from: unbeldi on April 29, 2016, 11:40:50 AM
I am glad I don't have to compete with that.

To me the most amazing point is that, that ad with that original picture was on Criagslist for 25 days. The seller said he had not received one legitimate inquiry the entire time. Where are the Charlotte, NC phone collectors?! 
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

oldguy

Gary

Dan/Panther

I just found a GOLD platted 1949 WE500, I paid $5.00 for it including shipping. So there Pourme...LOL.
Sorry about your bad luck, better luck next time. ;)
Going to be impossible to beat you this round for sure.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

dsk

Quote from: oldguy on April 29, 2016, 03:40:36 PM
do we really need to vote?

In one way, no! On the other hand, it had been fun to to win at least once, and the third it is a natural place to post when you get something who really means something for you.

My "Amtszusatz 33" arrived yesterday.
The wooden cabinet shows significant wear, and tear.
Just some small tuning, and it was in great working order.  The unit was made in Berlin in 1940, and has a surprisingly high quality, and technology.  The trunk looks like the dial never has been adjusted after leaving the factory, works well at 9.3 PPS.

The big trouble is the extreme REN load, getting my exchange tripping at first ring.  A rough REN measurement came up wit something between 3, and 3.3.  After adding a 1 uF capacitor in series with the coil, the load dropped to close to 1 REN, and works as a charm.

dsk

Pourme

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 30, 2016, 12:04:57 PM
I just found a GOLD platted 1949 WE500, I paid $5.00 for it including shipping. So there Pourme...LOL.
Sorry about your bad luck, better luck next time. ;)
Going to be impossible to beat you this round for sure.

D/P
Ha!...This lot is keeping me busy...I won't be any competition here for quite a while!...
Benny

TelePlay

Well, looks like all nominations for April are in so the poll is now open for voting.

Only 5 entries this month but they are diverse in nature so this may be an interesting poll to vote in and watch to see who comes out on top.

One vote per member so review the nominations and cast your vote for your favorite.

Nick in Manitou

What an astounding group of great deals on great phones!  Congratulations to all!

Fabius

Quote from: dsk on April 30, 2016, 02:30:57 PM

My "Amtszusatz 33" arrived yesterday.
The wooden cabinet shows significant wear, and tear.
Just some small tuning, and it was in great working order.  The unit was made in Berlin in 1940, and has a surprisingly high quality, and technology. 

What a great find! Are there any Waffenamt codes stamped on the equipment indicating acceptance for use by the Wehrmacht (WW11 German Armed Forces). Possibly stamped :Wa Prüf 7, Nachrichtenabteilung (signal branch). See the picture (which is in the public domain) of an example of a Waffenant code stamp.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

dsk

It is about impossible to see, but it is an eagle with the swastika and something under.

dsk

TelePlay

We've had great voting participation so far (21 members have voted in less than a full day) so that leaves, on average, about 8 to 10 members left to vote. Thanks to all who have cast a vote so far, and to those voting over the next few days.

TelePlay

We are up to 28 members who have voted as of this post.

Looking at the past poll stats, the average number of members who have voted is about 24.

We've hit the low 30's once or twice over the past year or so.

As such, this is the last call for members to vote in the April poll.

It may seem a bit soon to do this but the voting was fast and furious over the first two days so thanks again to all who voted and those who vote over the next few days.

TelePlay

Well, that was pretty fast and decisive - a surprising run away win.

Congratulations to Autonut's and his prototype Contempra Speakerphone which seems to be quite a rare find. Possibly a serious contender for the Find of the Decade poll in 2019, if it wins the Find of the Year poll for 2016. But that's getting way ahead of today . . .     ;)

All interesting finds in April but the clear choice of 48% of those voting in the poll was the prototype.

Once again, thanks to everyone who entered or had a phone entered in April and thanks to everyone for voting for their favorite.

To check out a list of all past winners including the Find of the YEAR winners click here:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12971.0

And now, on to May . . . . .

for Terry

I would like to take this time to thank everyone who voted for my phone. It is the best find I have ever come across. I don't know how I'm going to top that one. Fabius, dsk, zapper and Pourme's finds are all just as good. It's great to know that my name will now be added to the FOTM Trophy.  :)  Big thanks to DavePEI for nominating my find.

CDN Doug

Pourme

Congratulations Autonut! A very decisive win for your fabulous find. So fortunate that you walked into that second hand store that day and found that phone and knew enough to recognize what you found. It was meant to be, my friend! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Benny
Benny

WEBellSystemChristian

Congrats Autonut! Honestly, for me, it was a tie between Pourme and Autonut!

The Contempra is one of those phones that, if not in a funky '70s color, looks almost totally modern and would be missed by anyone NOT an expert in NE. It took some skill to make an instant-assumption of what you had! ;)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford