News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 1 - Interesting D1 on eBay

Started by bingster, September 07, 2008, 05:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

"Buttonless" D1: (auction #250291500321, ending on 9-12)
McHeath: $650.00 (-137.77)
Hello Central: $775.00 (-12.77)
Sold for $787.77
Dennis: $875.00 (Over)
Mark: $950.00 (Over)
bingster: $1,200.00 (Over)

Anybody else see this 200 series phone on ebay?   --> (  dead link 7-14-17 )

I'm sure we've all seen the multi-line versions of this phone and the amazing prices they fetch, but this is the first one I've ever seen with the multi-line base with no buttons.  Any ideas what the purpose of the buttonless base would be?
= DARRIN =

Mark Stevens

That's a new one on me!  I guess it has something similar to a dial blank where the buttons would be? I wonder if the blank came first, with the idea of possibly adding buttons later, or if it once had buttons that were removed?  Very cool!

Dennis Markham

Bingster, you piqued my interest with this phone.  I have seen them before but don't know anything about them. I've reached out to a collector friend of mine to pick his brain about the phone.  Based upon the one question posted on the listing, it is expected to bring $800 (or more).  I will report back when I learn something about the phone.  I first consulted a book that I have titled Old-Time Telephones! but was unable to find the phone there.

Mark Stevens

I took another good look at the photo of that phone and laughed. Can you imagine the conversation that went on in the seller's head?

"Wadaya mean, wipe the dust off?"
"Well, won't that make it more attractive to potential bidders?"
"Heck no, that thar dirt is vintage!"

;D  Sorry...got my cruel-shoes on today!

bingster

I agree.  Especially given the fact that the seller is apparently a phone collector.  Giving it a quick wipe down, and taking a few more pictures (including the innards of that base) would probably make a big difference in the final sale price.  All in all, it looks like it's in really nice condition.  The paint looks great except for the ears on the cradle, and the burned handset (how on Earth does that happen?) could easily be swapped out for another.

Let's have a little contest.  What price do you think this will bring?  I'm down for $1200, even without the buttons.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

I think as people used to sit at the phone and talk with whomever they would fiddle with the phone while talking.  I've picked up phones with a lot of scratches in the front.  They sit there and use a ball point pen or other sharp object and "doodle" on the phone while talking.  Some are really bad.  I have also had plastic phones with cigarette burns.  It's the same thing...I think the user would hold a tip of a cigarette against the phone..but of course one can't do that to a handset while using it.  I've seen cords that were twisted like when people (women) nervously twist their hair while talking.  Those darn phones took some abuse!

I don't know what to guess on the sale price.  You may be right at $1,200.  But I would like to make another prediction and that is on the buyer.  There's a guy buying up all the collectible phones right now.  I'm going to scramble his name now and if I'm right I'll unscramble it after it has ended.  The ebay name (scrambled) is 5pdeuogn5ol.  :)

Mark Stevens

This rocks!  I like this game, and am going to low-ball it and say $950.00.  Are we playing with Price is Right rules...no going over?!

bingster: $1,200.00
Mark: $950.00

OK Dennis, bingster beat you to the $1,200, so you're going to have to pick a different price!
Anyone else going to play?  I believe there's four days left on the auction, and we should shut down this contest at some point prior to auction end.  What do you guys think, two days to go...three?

Dennis Markham

Ok, I'm going to say $875 but I get a bonus point for picking the winner bidder (and it isn't me).  It will probably level off until the last minute and then watch out!

Mark Stevens

OK, current list:

Dennis: $875.00, and a bonus to be named later.

When are we cutting off our contest bids?!  Also, do we still win the contest even if we're the winner of the auction itself?  I wonder if that rascal bingster already has a sniper bid set on $1,199.00?!!!  :D

HELLO CENTRAL

Has the bidding closed?  I didn't hear the "come on down".  I found a D1 with its box at a house sale many years ago., This is a wow, isn't it ???

$775

Walt S
HELLO CENTRAL.

Mark Stevens

Update...

Hello Central: $775.00
Dennis: $875.00, and a bonus to be named later.

Hey McHeath, aren't you going to throw in a guess? Time's running out! ;)

Dennis Markham

The unofficial word on this phone came from a phone collector friend of mine.  He has been collecting phones for over 40 years.  His name is Mark Scola and he is a member of the A.T.C.A. and is on the board of directors with the T.C.I.   (Antique Telephone Collectors Assoc, and Telephone Collectors International).   I asked about this phone and commented that the only others I had seen (which aren't many) were key sets.  He said it was his understanding that because of the need for phones during WWII, Western Electric would do just about anything.  They threw these together and just put a cover, attached by a screw on each side to use as regular service telephones for the consumer.  He said he has even seen them in color.  He thought the designation was a 200 series number, like 205.  If you look close to the photo on the eBay listing, you can see a screw on the left side of the flat part in front.  There's the unofficial word.

Mark Stevens

Very interesting! It makes sense, and I can't say I'm surprised, as I know that there were severe restrictions on new phone service during the war.  Perhaps pieced-together phones like that were used for existing customers, in cases when total replacement was needed. That's classic Bell logic, assigning a model number to such a conglomeration! We'll have to see if there's more info to be found regarding the model numbers, colors, and other variations.  Thanks Dennis!

McHeath

Okay gee, it's up to $460 clams.  Hmm, my guess is $650, what with gasoline still high and people feeling the pinch.  Of course if I spent that kind of money on a phone I think my significant other would be a little dismayed, which is why I need to be independently wealthy so I can afford my hobbies to their proper place. 

Mark Stevens

OK gang, McHeath says $650.00!  Bidding is closed, and we're letting it ride:

McHeath: $650.00
Hello Central: $775.00
Dennis: $875.00

Say, what will we win?  Who started this anyway? Bingster? I'm sure he'll take care of us: trip to Tahiti, Disneyland, a new car...   :D