News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Impulse buy - a numbers matching 1954 Rose Beige WE 500

Started by Scott, January 06, 2019, 10:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

Early last Saturday I checked eBay and the first phone I saw was this one. It must have just been listed. I saw the different color and the straight dark receiver cord and didn't even look at the other photos. After hearing stories about phones being bought out from under people while they were looking at it had me scared. I looked at the BIN price, $48.50 so I just bought it. I wasn't sure if I had found something good or not. Well, it arrived this Saturday and I still wasn't sure if it was what I thought it was until I took the dial off. Sure enough, a numbers matching 1954 Rose Beige 500 set. It is a mess right now. The dial is pretty much seized. It has some funky stuff growing around the inside and there is a break on the left side. All that said, I believe it will clean up beautifully!. This will be the first restore job I am going to take photos of. I want to remember this. This is by far the best find I have ever made. Here are some photos.

oldguy

Gary

Babybearjs

wow! and with a straight handset cord even! hope it cleans up well!
John

RotarDad

Scott - you did very well on a hard-to-find phone at a very nice price.  The Rose Beige is considered the most common of the "big 4" sought after 500 colors, but the straight handset cord makes it more of a prize.  Also, yours has "browned" over time which is common, but it doesn't appear to have that "dead flesh" fading that often plagues this color.  Keep us updated on your restoration!
Paul

SunriseEarth

Great find!  I think it's a FOTM contender, for sure!
Tony Stokes

TCI Member; ATCA Member #4893

Pourme

~

Right place at the right time...for sure! You really rung the bell on this one...

FOM contender for sure!

Congrats!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

LarryInMichigan

The white stuff growing on the plastic is white mold.  it is commonly found growing on tenite, but it can be cleaned off.

Great find!

Larry

Scott

Thanks for that info. Do I still need a haz-mat suit?:)

Scott K.

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

paul-f

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 07, 2019, 09:06:43 AM
The white stuff growing on the plastic is white mold.  it is commonly found growing on tenite, but it can be cleaned off.

We like to think of the mold as a protective covering. Usually, cleaning reveals a great finish underneath.

If you are at all concerned regarding your immune system or have known mold allergies, it may be wise to wear a simple mask while removing the mold.

Your instincts were great. Congratulations on the find and fast action!

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

I look forward to seeing your beautiful phone all cleaned up.
That's a rare find congrats.
KEN

FABphones

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Scott

This may be the listing number 132902772730. I haven't figured out the screen shot thing on my computer even after reading posts explaining how. That is something on my list to learn for 2019. All the best.

Scott K.

FABphones

Quote from: Scott on January 08, 2019, 08:56:40 AM
This may be the listing number 132902772730....

Screenshot of the listing for that number  :) :
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble