News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1975 Northern Electric Green 233HS 3/4

Started by ....., May 06, 2019, 12:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I received this 1975 Northern Electric Green 233HS 3/4. It is as it was pulled from service with locks removed. Looks like it was just taped closed then put on a shelf somewhere and forgotten about. Just needs a good cleaning, replace the vault door and install some locks. It will look just as it was in service when I'm done with it.

Key2871

Very cool, why the 3/4 number? I have never seen that before.
KEN

HarrySmith

Nice find. I too am curious, what is the significance of the 3/4?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

I really have no idea what the 3/4 means. Possibly the third quarter of the year?

When I was cleaning the top half of the phone, I discovered this was a 1964 originally. It was refurbished in 1975 according to the date codes in the phone. I also added the locks and the center flag.

With the top half done the base will be next.

I happened to have a spare vault door, so that will replace the badly pitted one.

Key2871

Looking really good. That vault door is a definite improvement. I'm surprised the paint still looks good.
I've always liked the Green color on payphones.
KEN

It's finished! :)

Key2871

Excellent job. I'm glad to see that you disassembled everything to really clean it all the right way. Well done.
That was a good find.. on to the next one!
KEN

FABphones

Agreed. Got to admire your thoroughness in taking that apart in order to do a good job.

Were the internals all original and in working order, or did you have to replace/remove anything in there?

Nicely done.  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Quote from: FABphones on May 08, 2019, 05:21:43 AM
Agreed. Got to admire your thoroughness in taking that apart in order to do a good job.

Were the internals all original and in working order, or did you have to replace/remove anything in there?

Nicely done.  :)

Thanks Fab

This phone was a 1964 originally. It had been refurbished in 1975 according to the date codes in the phone.
I had some newer parts that closely matched the refurbished dates. I put them in place of the 1964 parts.
As for working order I would need to hook it up to one of Stan's Payphone Controllers to test it.

My next project I started to work on is an all original dates matching chrome 1970 Northern Electric QSD 3A 3 slot payphone. I have never seen one of these models before, but that's a whole different thread.

mentalstampede

I've got a QSD3A, but yours is a lot more complete than mine. It's a semi-postpay, so if you've got the capability to hook it up to a line with reverse-battery supervision (like an xlink gateway for instance), it should work and enforce deposit to make calls without any special controller.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Payphone installer

That's a really nice phone. Put it on Facebook