News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring a 1A2 system in a small office

Started by 280Parka, August 24, 2019, 07:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

280Parka

I need some advice on wiring for a 1A2 setup I've been planning for our office.  I'm using a WE 620A board for incoming lines, a Panasonic 616 as an intercom, and then 66 blocks with 2 pre-wired Amphenol sockets each for distribution to the key phones (see 1st drawing).  I will be wiring up 8 phones initially. 

My original plan was to use the setup in the drawing and then connect home runs from each phone via Amphenol terminated cables of the appropriate length to the Amphenol connectors in the 66 blocks in the board.  Each block would take care of 2 key phones.

But is there a better way to accomplish this?  We only have 2 phone lines which would require a total of 6 pairs.  I could run 2 lines of 4-pair cable daisy chaining Amphenol terminated 66 blocks near each desk and then plug the phones directly into that.  I would also have to make home runs of single pair cable from the 616 to each block to connect the intercom system.  This method would probably be a lot cheaper than 25 pair cables, but harder to modify as I would have to go crawl under each desk to make wiring changes to the individual blocks in the future. 

How was distribution to the phones originally done?  I've been looking at the setups in BSP Section 518-215-419 (see 2nd drawing) which appear to have a 66 block for each phone on the main board, but I can't find any detail of how the phones are eventually terminated to each key phone.

Thanks,

Babybearjs

here's a picture of my layout. good luck in your planning. I really love the way my system came out.... so much easier to maintain...
John

Key2871

So your using A/B cables. In other words a connector at each end. The only problem with that it's very difficult getting wires through walls with out huge holes. Unless your running the wire then putting connectors on them.
But If your using a panasonic for itcm. You may find it better to use punch blocks for Inter connecting.

Maybe I'm missing your whole idea....?
KEN

Babybearjs

no, on my system I'm using 25 pair cable by the foot. all my phone jacks are RJ-45. I don't use amphenol because of the fact that I'm wiring a home. if you're looking for 25 pair cable, go to www.discountlowvoltage.com and follow the links. its currently priced at 0.69/foot.
John

280Parka

I guess my 1st question is how was it done "back in the day".  It seems logical to me to have each phone represented by a 66 block (or half a block in my current design) in the telephone closet, that way it would be easier to make the connections necessary from the equipment and also allow for future modifications.   But what typically happens after that? 

280Parka

Option "A" is the way I was originally planning which uses pre-made 25 pair A/B cables which would require big holes in walls/ceilings to accommodate routing the amphenol connectors of the pre-made cables.  Option "B" uses a 66E3 (correct name?) block at each phone location which would require punching down 25 pair cable at the 66 blocks on the telephone board and at each phone location's 66E block. 

Key2871

Back in the day, phones were wired to a 66 block, in the early years they were Big blocks, or B blocks.
Then they came out with the more compact Mini block, or M block. When I did my system, I laid everything out with a homerun to a block that two stations could be connected. Each side of the M block was a station. With options being able to connect to each side. With some being common to the KSU. I tried to follow the Bell manual on key system wiring as much as possible. Where needed I used Bridge clips to the features, such as LGround, etc.
If a problem came up, I just pulled the clips until the problem cleared, that by the wire color told me what area the problem laid. And refurring to the manual for what set I was using.
I also learned that making some areas modular or breaking it into modualls I could isolate things quick if I needed to isolate or replace things.
If you go to the TCI library you can find the Bell System manual on systems and how they were wired.
But weren't you going to use the 600 series unit?
I think that's a bit more modular than the older type.
KEN

Key2871

I bought a crimp tool to put ends on the cables, so as I could find them I'd make a cable with a female to allow the phones male to connect. Then the other end I punched down for connection.
The 66E is good for one end getting punched at the block, then you just do the same to give you The female. Then if you wanted, add AB cables using a AMP bridge. That would allow you to add two sets to a cable end, if you had a short AB cable you could add another set and so on.
I would go with the E, if you don't have a champ tool for connecting to a cable, makes it a lot easier in the long run.
Plus you end up with half inch holes for the cables and not the inch and a quarter size if using a connector on each end.
KEN

280Parka

The system is finally up and running and has been in use for the past couple of months with no glitches thus far.  I can't believe it has been nearly two years since starting the project.  We got really busy half way through 2020 which took up most of my spare time to work on the system.  I plan on starting a new thread with more detail about the system, but here are a few photos in the meantime.

Babybearjs

Nice! I've got a 1A1 system in my house, absolutely love it... its nice to be able to use stuff that used to be dedicated solely to commercial installations...
John

280Parka

It was interesting training some of the younger employees how to use the system.  Of course I remember having these systems in offices where I had worked early in my career and they always seemed so intuitive to use.

Key2871

I think they are so simple to use, but you can do so much more with the sets than with electronic sets.
And they last for years, where some sets that use soft touch pads can tend to foul in time.
I've hardly seen any 1A2 sets that are trouble called in years.
KEN