News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

British GPO 162

Started by LarryInMichigan, May 31, 2020, 08:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I just received an ivory GPO 162 (ebay link) which took the USPS three full weeks to deliver.  The phone was a $29.99 BIN with about $10 more for postage.  The phone is in pretty good condition, but the handset has numerous cracks which are defying my attempts to clean.  The mounting cord is rather long and probably original, but the handset cord was replaced with an inappropriate vinyl one.  This phone apparently requires a bellset (subset) to work, and my budget does not allow for buying a bellset from the UK.  Is is possible to use an American subset with this phone?  Does anyone here have any spare braided cloth GPO cords?

Larry

RB

Hi Larry
Nice find!
It looks simple enough to use any bellset with a condenser.
I am guessing, 1.5k to 2.5k on the bell???

tubaman

Looking at the insides I wonder if you have a 232 with a 162 base fitted. That 'transformer' looks like it is actually an induction coil - does it have any markings on it? If it says something like 'Coil Induction 27' then my suspicions are correct. There's 232 diagrams here - http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16652.0
You also have a later Dial No 12 fitted rather than the original Dial No 10, but that could have been field replaced.
That long mounting cord probably is original and looks decent. They are not easy to get so look after it.
:)

Jack Ryan

I agree, the circuit is for a 162 but the phone is a 232.

That makes it easier for you, it just needs a bell with a capacitor.

Jack

LarryInMichigan

It would appear that you are correct.  The dial has a '12' stamped into it, and the coil, and the connections to the coil seem to follow the 232 diagramme.  I cannot read what is printed on the coil, but there seems to be an "M11" in a rectangle as part of it.  Perhaps my phone was updated in the field.  Can a 232 be connected to the line without a bellset?

Thank You

Larry

tubaman

This should have a Bellset No 26 (bell and capacitor only). I believe the capacitor in the bellset is also used as the spark quench for the dial and is possibly also part of the audio circuit, so strictly speaking it shouldn't really go without.
Here's how they wire together - http://www.samhallas.co.uk/repository/n_diagrams/4000/N4300.pdf

FABphones

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on May 31, 2020, 08:14:21 AM
...Does anyone here have any spare braided cloth GPO cords?

Larry

If you have no luck finding one I have a few :o, shown here are about half of them, several original ivory mixed in there, not all shown. Untested at the mo and packed away in an unmarked box. Shipping from EU might be a tad expensive.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

Quote from: FABphones on May 31, 2020, 11:54:49 AM
If you have no luck finding one I have a few :o, shown here are about half of them, several original ivory mixed in there, not all shown. Untested at the mo and packed away in an unmarked box. Shipping from EU might be a tad expensive.

No wonder original ones are hard to find - FABphones has them all!!!
;D

Jim Stettler

Quote from: FABphones on May 31, 2020, 11:54:49 AM
Shipping from EU might be a tad expensive.
For 1 original tested ivory cord, Which is needed to complete a project, The shipping ends up being reasonable.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

countryman

I learned the German Post does not accept small goods in an international letter envelope any more, as they used to do for decades (and still do for domestic mail and business customers). Only paperwork is allowed. I'm afraid other carriers also force private customers into the steep international parcel fees.

Owain

In the UK recent sold Ivory 232 on ebay have been £200 to £405 (USD 250-500) so that is a Bargain.

Replacement cords are available here
https://www.vintagetelephony.co.uk/product/ivory-chinese-red-and-jade-telephone-cords-11-50-23-00

The line cord you have may be original for a black phone but I think the ivory phones all had ivory cords.

tubaman

Quote from: Owain on May 31, 2020, 03:12:20 PM
In the UK recent sold Ivory 232 on ebay have been £200 to £405 (USD 250-500) so that is a Bargain.

Replacement cords are available here
https://www.vintagetelephony.co.uk/product/ivory-chinese-red-and-jade-telephone-cords-11-50-23-00

The line cord you have may be original for a black phone but I think the ivory phones all had ivory cords.

The end inside the body appears to be ivory - I think the rest is just very grubby.
As you say the price was very good indeed.

Owain

Quote from: tubaman on May 31, 2020, 03:35:32 PM
The end inside the body appears to be ivory - I think the rest is just very grubby.

Even better, if it comes up with a wash!

FABphones

Quote from: tubaman on May 31, 2020, 03:35:32 PM
The end inside the body appears to be ivory - I think the rest is just very grubby...

Agreed.
These are definitely worth taking off for a good wash. Looking forward to seeing the colour change afterwards.  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

LarryInMichigan

I have the phone all dismantled and have been trying to clean up the various parts.  One of the rear cradle ears had unfortunately had broken off and was glued back with ugly brownish epoxy, and the ugly cracks in the handset did not really improve after plenty of soaking in oxygen cleaner and then chlorine bleach.  I just placed the plaited cord into a solution of oxygen cleaner and water, so I will see if it lightens up (or disintegrates.  Since the wires in the handset cord are vinyl covered, the cord is obviously not original to 1937.  I cannot imagine that my phone could possibly be worth £200-£300, but I expect (hope) that it is worth well more than the $40 or so that I paid.  Stay tuned for more developments.  I will probably stick a capacitor into the phone and add a temporary line cord to find out how it all works before I buy any cords.  Realistically, I need probably eight or more proper GPO cords for the various GPO phones in my collection.

Larry