and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first Payphone WE 233G

Started by captroosh, July 17, 2021, 04:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captroosh

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 02, 2021, 05:14:14 PM
Good News!!! You hung in there with great support...Doug

Yes Doug I hung in there. And I would be remiss if I didn't thank everyone who helped me because I never would have figured it out on my own. So a big Thank you, in no particular order to Stan. S, Key 2871, Jim Settler, Teleplay, Payphone Installer, FABPhones, ND Poplar1 I'm sorry if I missed anyone. It was an extraordinary group effort by an extraordinary group. Once I get that plate on I will post new pictures.
Capt. Roosh.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Key2871

Glad you figured it out and got it working.
You learn something new everyday.. And that's a valuable experience.
KEN

captroosh

Quote from: Key2871 on November 02, 2021, 10:49:32 PM
Glad you figured it out and got it working.
You learn something new everyday.. And that's a valuable experience.
Valuable indeed. I was thinking that last night. I knew virtually nothing about these phones when I acquired it. It has been an education and a pleasure learning. Best way to learn for me is by doing. ANd nothing like that Ah ha moment when you put it together.
Capt. Roosh.

captroosh

I hate to be a pain. I cannot figure out how to remove the coin chute mechanism temporarily, to get at the Nuts for the front instruction plate. I was looking it up on TCL. One set of instructions said to remove 3 number 4 Hex Screws or 4 number 3's I can't remember exactly. I only found 2 large screws that allowed me to lift it up some.  However not enough to access the nuts. There are 2 posts in the top of the upper housing that the mechanism moves along when the Coin release button is pressed. It would seem I would have to free from these but again I am lost. The only other option I can think of is to attach it with Krazy glue or JB Weld to the front. I'd rather not do that.
Capt. Roosh.

poplar1

Loosen (counter-clockwise) the 2 screws that are spring loaded (for coin release). Then there is a large slotted screw holding the lower part of the coin chute assembly.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

You need to push down on the two spring loaded screws (posts) while turning them enough that they release. Careful, the springs may jump off the table.

EDIT: Forgot about the other part (circled in yellow). I think that one also needs to be removed.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

captroosh

Quote from: poplar1 on November 08, 2021, 09:19:10 PM
You need to push down on the two spring loaded screws (posts) while turning them enough that they release. Careful, the springs may jump off the table.

EDIT: Forgot about the other part (circled in yellow). I think that one also needs to be removed.

Definitely, the one in yellow. It was the 2 spring ones I couldn't figure out. I'm assuming turn to the left. With some of these things you never know. LOL Thank you very much for the assistance. Learning on this every day.
Capt. Roosh.

HarrySmith

I learned about those 2 screws by breaking them. At least you were smarter than I was and asked first!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

captroosh

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 09, 2021, 11:09:23 AM
I learned about those 2 screws by breaking them. At least you were smarter than I was and asked first!

I learned to ask first, because of all the stuff I have broken over the years with out asking. LOL  But then again that was before the knowledge base that is the internet. Generally there is always someone who has faced something before I have. That's why I love this group. So much knowledge and so many people willing to help.
Capt. Roosh.

captroosh

Well I managed to remove the coin mechanism per the instructions here. Alas I was not able to attach the plate because the holes don't line up correctly. I will probably sell this on eBay now, or throw it in a drawer. I bought it from Phoneco $25 plus shipping. They indicated NOS i don't think the protective Glass  is original. It's plastic and not cut perfectly Square. The card is purported to be real but I have no idea. If anyone wants it I sell it for $15 plus shipping to anyone here. Otherwise it will go on eBay or  Facebook Marketplace. Thanks again for the info.
Capt. Roosh.

rdelius

You might try inverting the mount .The card might be upside down . The card is not old and is not based on a real design. These frames had plastic windows and not glass

captroosh

I tried using the top 2 holes first. It didn't line up correctly. Then I tried turning it upside down using the center pair but the holes on the plate were too small for the screws. I really had a difficult time last night as it was late. I'm going to try again today. Only thing I can think to do if the center holes line up right, is to drill them out a little to accommodate the larger screws.
Capt. Roosh.

Stan S

The center holes in the plate aren't too small. The screws go in from the inside then into the plate. Not the other way around. The holes in the plate are tapped for short 4-40 screws.

captroosh

Quote from: Stan S on November 10, 2021, 10:46:46 AM
The center holes in the plate aren't too small. The screws go in from the inside then into the plate. Not the other way around. The holes in the plate are tapped for short 4-40 screws.
Stan,
I hear what you are saying and I will give it a shot. I just hope they go through the holes far enough to add the nuts that hold them on now. I call them screws but they are more like rivets with threads. It will be difficult to move through those holes with oout some way to drive them.
Capt. Roosh.

Stan S

You can't use the drive rivets thst were in the phone originally. You have to find 4-40 screws probably about 1/4 of an inch long. You don't use nuts. The screws thread into the two tapped holes in the plate. Remember they are installed from the inside out then into the plate.