News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 6A dial question

Started by RotoTech99, August 08, 2022, 02:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Hi, I've got a WE #6A dial I'd like to configure with 4 leads to work on a modern network, please...

I know the 6 type dial used in WE decorator sets is similar, but the terminal layout is different than the 6A, and the terminal designations are different.

So how may I configure the WE6A to work as I described, please!

All feedback and replies. welcomed with Thanks.

Rototech99

MMikeJBenN27

It will work fine on a modern network as is.  No need to change how it is wired.  What kind of phone are you using this on?

Mike

poplar1

6A dial contacts are equivalent to 5H dial: Y and BK are the dial pulse contacts, and BB and W open the receiver while the dial is in use.

This is different from the later dials such as the 7- and 9-type on 500s. The shunt contacts on these short out the receiver whenever the dial is in use. The 6U dials on decorator phones also short the receiver.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

For any 425-type network or equivalent:

Input (tip and ring) = RR and C

Output:

Receiver = GN

Transmitter = B

Common receiver/transmitter = R

You should now hear dial tone and be able to transmit. However, you won't be able to dial out or hang up without adding the hookswitch and dial as follows:

Then, to add a hookswitch, you need to interrupt the input. For example, you can connect the  - side of the line (red) to a blind terminal such as L2, along with one hookswitch lead (Yellow, for example) and the other hookswitch lead (Brown, for example) to C.

To add a dial: For the dial pulse, connect the + side of the line to the dial pulse contact (Y on a 5H or 6A dial) and the other dial pulsing contact (BK on a 5H or 6A dial) to RR.

Now, to mute the loud pops in the receiver from the dial pulsing:

For a 5H or 6A dial, instead of having the receiver connected directly to GN on network, install a jumper wire from GN on network to BB on dial, and connect the receiver to W on dial.

For a 6U, 8A, 7D, or 9C dial, connect the receiver to GN (other receiver conductor is connected to R, along with one transmitter wire). Then connect the dial shunting contacts to R and GN on the network.

It is important to understand this circuit (or equivalent), rather than always relying on diagrams; especially when you are improvising a situation such as connecting an older 5H or 6A dial to a modern network.

RotoTech99

Hi,Poplar 1:

The phone with the modern network is an old SC 1243 that I installed the network on, and configured as Phoneco does with some of their older ones by putting straps from L2 to C and L2 to A.

I used two switchhook leads and stored the others.

The dials they used were #6 or AE 24 and 51 dials...

As I was using a NE #6, I needed to know where the 4 dial leads would go on it.

My pulsing leads are both white, and the shunt leads are both blue (WE did a change like this later on their dials)

Rototech99

poplar1

Normally, the blue wires would be for dial pulse, and the white wires for muting the receiver. Not that it matters electrically.

If you put the green line wire on Y of 6A/5H dial and one receiver wire on W of dial, then you would need only 2 jumpers:
BK on dial to RR on network and
BB on dial to GN on network. 

poplar1

What are the screw terminal designations on the dial pictured? Y BK R BB W, or something else?

dsk

If you let the line comming in to the switch hook, and the other lead go to dial Y, then the network to BK, The other line in to the network should also go to R, do not use BB.

RotoTech99

Dear Poplar1:

The dial's terminals are Y, BK, W, R, and BB as you noted in your reply.

Rototech99