News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Siemens Hotel Phone with unusual dial blank

Started by tubaman, August 09, 2022, 11:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubaman

Not sure what model this is but I really like the 'Hotel Service' dial blank.
The price being asked is bonkers of course!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255667694507

"Extremely Rare Antique Vintage Guest Hotel Service Telephone Phone Red Light Valet Room Service"

countryman

Looks like a Modell 28 with a dial blank and a later W48? handset.
Modell 28 is the private version of the W28 (oval window for number card, signal button, position of cords). Might in fact be rare overseas... but still not worth that much.

HarrySmith

With the silver satin line cord and 2 screws sticking out the bottom I would guess "frankenphone" but the dial blank is really cool.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

Attractive phone.  Looks like the dollar is catching up to the pound these days.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

countryman

The screws at the bottom look original.
I'm not aware I ever saw a 28 with a dial blank to be honest. The model was a dedicated "automatic" phone. But it was made for the export market as well. I wonder if it was really installed new in the hotel in the early 1930ies as an import? Or if it came to the US used.

tubaman

Bar the modern line cord it all looks ok to me. That handset does indeed look like a W48 type, but goes with the Bakelite cradle nicely so I think it could well be the original one.
The dial blank certainly looks period.

@HarrySmith - the screws you refer to hold both the baseplate and the top part of the body in place. If partially loosened you can slide off the base and then you can remove them fully to split the body if needed.

HarrySmith

OK. Thanks for clarifying. Not being familiar with the model it looks out of place like someone forced it in next to the hole for the original screws.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 09, 2022, 02:54:26 PMWith the silver satin line cord and . . . I would guess "frankenphone" . . .

They make flat line cord on both grey and black. I have both and use what looks best with a phone. Black on a black phone always makes the newer cord blend in better.

Bulk either color sells for about $100 for 1,000 feet but their are good deals out there occasionally.

tubaman

The seller has offered me 5% off - oh the generosity!  ;D

Etienne

A really strange phone. No manufacturer's markings anywhere. Did Siemens not always mark their phones, if not with their logo, at least with the model's number? This one shows nothing, neither stamped nor painted.
The dial blank is unusual, but does not seem impossible to me. After all, ZB/SA 25 also existed as manual sets.
The upper part looks to be bakelite, so a rather late version: my 1938 set has one, my 1928 set has a metal upper part. I remember, too, that I once read something about that on the German forum, about the bakelite upper part being only for Reichspost models- if so, my 1938 set would not be original.
By the way, Tubaman, you missed a deal: it is now listed for 359,99$!

countryman

The W28 / Modell 28 was a Siemens & Halske design but was made by other manufacturers as well. Hence the many variations regarding metal or Bakelite upper part and cradle, markings, etc.
It might be an interesting story how the phone came to a hotel in an English speaking country.

Etienne

This seller
https://www.leboncoin.fr/collection/2172084554.htm
has some interesting phones for sale, among them, a W28 with the standard, metal dial blank.
(He doesn't ship items which is a shame. On this same image is an interesting french Ericsson-Colombes with original dial (including card holder!!). Circa 1947. In my opinion, the missing link between the Ericsson DBH1001 and the U43: the small Ericsson model, but with the cradle redesigned on the front.
He also has what looks like a TN Maingau, but with french SIT dial and late plastic handset: it must be a french variation of the Maingau as french handsets are too short to fit on a german cradle.)