News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

9-15-2022 auction - postmortem

Started by Darkstar2006, September 24, 2022, 08:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkstar2006

I went to this auction to see if i could pick up a 554C for my 51C candlestick.

Now i am not what I would call a true collector but an enthusiast who enjoys the use and ring of old phones. I do have a massive collection of American flyer trains.

There really wasn't any of really high collectables (colored plastics etc.) I didn't look closely at the hoards of desk stands for "A" or "B" types ( I just found out about them). A cow bell ringer went for $30! Some things including Candlesticks sold from tray lots as "high bid picks". 3 slot pay phones (a few really nice w/keys) sold for parts prices. Then it went strictly tray lots of (3) subsets, (6) D1 or 500 series went for $30 or less o tray, as did magnetos. A box of candlestick parts $50.   

I found this auction to be a sad statement about collecting phones (or toy trains or almost anything else). I think like most collectors, we buy for the fun of collecting and not care about what our collection is worth. if you are concerned about worth this auction would jolt you into reality.

I bought a candlestick that was restamped to 151AL missing the headset all stamps late 40's early 50's, (3) subsets 334A, 554C, 634A and a Couch? push to talk intercom $59 including tax.

Here's the kicker

I went to the same auction house on Sunday for a train auction and was talking to some of the auctions' workers as to what had happened to all of the dial card holders missing from the phones. The answer was that this gentleman use to work for Bell and that these phones were the product of dumpster diving!
dave S.
Why do people with cell phones use "old phone" as their ring tone?

-Dave S.