News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I just ordered a landline

Started by cnowalk, October 01, 2022, 06:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnowalk

A traditional landline, from AT&T. Of course, I'll reserve excitement until the technician comes on Saturday 10/08 and it's actually working. The representative was able to place the order and issue me a phone number in the 904-739 exchange. My house has been previously served by that same CO, with phone numbers in the 904-733 and 904-730 exchanges.

$48 with taxes/fees for unlimited local calling, no internet. Provided I'm actually able to get it installed, I'll keep it until they tell me I can't have it anymore, or if the price goes way up, or if I experience significant issues with it.  My neighborhood does not have fiber and I am not aware of any plans to deploy it here.

cnowalk

Update 10/08/22

The installer just left. He was very nice and we discussed a plan for getting the wire ran from the pole back to the house. It had been cut by the previous owner while I was in the process of buying the house since it was coming in at an angle and damaging the shingles.

Unfortunately, he was not able to get me hooked up today since he couldn't find a good pair, everything was open. He needs to put in a ticket which won't be reviewed by the engineer until Monday. Once the engineer can get a good pair set up, the installer will return. I wish I asked about still running the line today, but he probably wanted to wait and make sure everything was working first.

The good news is, my neighborhood has a direct run from the CO with no boxes in between. I thought because of the distance that wouldn't be the case, but the installer indicated otherwise.

cnowalk

Additional update 10/08/22

My cat and I were dozing off on the couch after some yard work, and I noticed an AT&T van parked in front of my house. As soon as I stood up from the couch, he drove away, turned around, then parked in front of one of the pedestals just down the lane. He came and went a few times, and when I last looked out he had been there for a while.

It could just be a coincidence, but I like to think he was there trying to get me sorted out! Never came to the house though, so I can't be sure.

RDPipes

I think I would have went out and asked him.
I hope it all turns out right for you sir, I have a problem trusting AT&T anymore as with most big business.

cnowalk

I hope it works out too! I've been interested in phones since 2020 and getting a copper phone line has been on my mind the entire time. I grew up using one in my parents house, but I love the idea of having one of my own in my house.

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: cnowalk on October 01, 2022, 06:43:38 PMA traditional landline, from AT&T. Of course, I'll reserve excitement until the technician comes on Saturday 10/08 and it's actually working. The representative was able to place the order and issue me a phone number in the 904-739 exchange. My house has been previously served by that same CO, with phone numbers in the 904-733 and 904-730 exchanges.

$48 with taxes/fees for unlimited local calling, no internet. Provided I'm actually able to get it installed, I'll keep it until they tell me I can't have it anymore, or if the price goes way up, or if I experience significant issues with it.  My neighborhood does not have fiber and I am not aware of any plans to deploy it here.
As of now, they aren't taking it away from anybody, even when they bring fibre in.  I still have mine and refuse to get rid of it.  I can't be tracked or hacked on a home phone.  On a cell phone or a cordless home phone, you can be.

Mike

Doug Rose

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on October 12, 2022, 03:54:14 PMI can't be tracked or hacked on a home phone.  On a cell phone or a cordless home phone, you can be.

Mike
A copper line terminates in a number of locations, like the Telephone Pole outside your house. Just a butt set away from being "hacked" They can listen away on my conversations, great extended warranties on my car or those "free" Hilton giveaways.

Kidphone

poplar1

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on October 12, 2022, 03:54:14 PMAs of now, they aren't taking it away from anybody, even when they bring fibre in.  I still have mine and refuse to get rid of it.  I can't be tracked or hacked on a home phone.  On a cell phone or a cordless home phone, you can be.

Mike

Actually, it has happened in some areas. A tech in another group recently  helped decommission a multi-story DMS 100 central office that had only 140 lines still being billed. Remaining customers were forced to switch.

Remember Hurricane Sandy in New York state? Destroyed copper infrastructure was not replaced and customers were offered cellular based service that has a box on customer premises to connect hardwired phones. No AC service = no telephone.

My latest AT&T landline bill (Lucent 5ESS and direct copper) is $70 ($50 +,junk fees) with feature package. (A 1FB business landline in Atlanta is now $340 per month!) On the back of the bill is a note about customer being responsible for maintaining batteries -- even though in 1911, my house had a WE 85A fiddleback wall set on the landing. The 85A is a common battery set (batteries not required) .

AT&T and the Baby Bells have been successfully petitioning the various state legislatures for permission to discontinue true landline (copper) service in any area where alternate technology is available 

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RDPipes

Quote from: Doug Rose on October 12, 2022, 04:04:54 PMA copper line terminates in a number of locations, like the Telephone Pole outside your house. Just a butt set away from being "hacked" They can listen away on my conversations, great extended warranties on my car or those "free" Hilton giveaways.

Yeah Doug but, it's not like everyone's got a butt set hanging out of their back pocket, LOL!

Doug Rose

Quote from: RDPipes on October 13, 2022, 02:44:53 AMYeah Doug but, it's not like everyone's got a butt set hanging out of their back pocket, LOL!
It should hang from your belt loop. I ruined more Levis ripping the loop off with the buttset.

It is a must for hacking copper lines...Doug
Kidphone

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: poplar1 on October 12, 2022, 07:34:55 PM...A tech in another group recently  helped decommission a multi-story DMS 100 central office that had only 140 lines still being billed. Remaining customers were forced to switch.

Remember Hurricane Sandy in New York state? Destroyed copper infrastructure was not replaced and customers were offered cellular based service that has a box on customer premises to connect hardwired phones. No AC service = no telephone...

AT&T and the Baby Bells have been successfully petitioning the various state legislatures for permission to discontinue true landline (copper) service in any area where alternate technology is available 
That is horrible.  I hope they don't do it to me!

Mike

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: Doug Rose on October 12, 2022, 04:04:54 PMA copper line terminates in a number of locations, like the Telephone Pole outside your house. Just a butt set away from being "hacked" They can listen away on my conversations, great extended warranties on my car or those "free" Hilton giveaways.

Don't they have to climb the pole to do it?

Mike

Doug Rose

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on October 13, 2022, 02:26:24 PMDon't they have to climb the pole to do it?

Mike
"can't be tracked or hacked on a home phone."
Kidphone

cnowalk

Update 10/16/22

I received a call on Wednesday saying that the trouble ticket had been cleared, but I missed it so I had to suffer through calling the 800 number to reschedule the technician visit. It took 45 minutes and three different people to get a new appointment with upselling all along the way. I stuck to my guns and told them I just wanted the landline.

A different installer than the week before showed up yesterday. Also very nice, and once again not at all bothered about installing a POTS line. He went up to the pedestal for a while and finally came back with more bad news, the marked pair was bad. He explained that the wires coming into my neighborhood are insulated with paper, and there are a few places where they could've gotten wet. We had also recently received a significant amount of rain, which likely occurred after the initial repairs were made.

The installer said he would have to reopen the ticket and have their support people take another look, though he was still optimistic that repairs would be able to be made to get my service installed. He felt bad that I have been waiting, and apparently the order indicates that it's for a business (though I didn't correct him).

He was not able to install the drop, he mentioned that they are not allowed to do so until all repairs are made as some customers get frustrated and cancel. For now, I plan to stick with it and try to get installed eventually.

cnowalk

10/20/22...the fun continues

I was informed on Monday that the outside cable trouble had been repaired and the technician was rescheduled for this afternoon (the day of this post). When I received the confirmation call yesterday morning, they had the appointment for this morning instead. I reached out to the previous technician, and he confirmed that it would be the afternoon.

This morning while at work (not home), I received an alert from my porch camera that someone was there. It was AT&T, and I was unable to get to it quick enough to try to talk to him though the camera. I reached back out to the other tech, and he was unresponsive. I ended up calling the 800 number and getting bounced around, until finally someone told me that my account was riddled with errors and the recommendation was to cancel the order and create a new one. So we did (losing the somewhat cool phone number in the process), but now the earliest installation date is November 7th! Of course, I had to go beyond that because of work travel. November 15th it is.

My technician contact actually called when I was on with the 800 number, checking in on me. I returned his call and gave him the update, he was going to contact his boss to see if he could do anything to get something done sooner. I'm still waiting to hear back from him.

I knew I should have worked from home this morning...