News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Refurbed 1554 Question

Started by compubit, April 01, 2023, 03:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

Trying to decide what to do with this phone I picked up for $25 bucks on eBay...

It's a gray 1554 without the coiled cord and has the 12 button "plug" installed.

Do I:
a) Leave it like it is (just clean up a bit)
b) Clean it up, find a new gray cord and leave it as a 1976-refurbed gray 1554
c) Install a true NOS yellow 1554 cover on it (and a yellow cord and handset) and use the grey on a 2554 ending up with a yellow 1554 and a gray 2554

I'm leaning toward the third option, but wanted to get some feedback...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

compubit

And the back has half of an Illinois Bell refurbed sticker on it...
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

RDPipes

Well, if it was mine I would certainly clean it up and then just leave it alone except to get a grey matching curly cord for it. It looks like its going to take a little work just cleaning it up and getting it to look good again.
Oh! and sourcing the clear number card retainer.

Contempra

I don't have this model at home ( I'm not a fan of that touch-tone telephone ) but clean it up and just leave it alone and find a grey matching curly cord for it  .

Kellogg Kitt

I like option C, the yellow 1554.  The plugs on the gray phone ruin it for me.  I would never be able to see it as a real 1554.  I say if you are lucky enough to have a yellow 1554 shell handy, use it!

Wade