Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

;D

http://tinyurl.com/4rjuugm Thanks to a very Nice guy ;D ;D ;D
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

HarrySmith

Nice one Kenny! You are building a nice collection. Did you confirm any dates on the inside?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

GG

Dude!  Score!  Guess what?  I had that page open on my browser at the 8 minute mark, but then I thought about it and got the vibe that says, someone else around here wants this one really badly.  Chances are it's been through WE's refurb process, since it has a coiled handset cord, so it's likely some other parts were replaced as well.   But nonetheless, that's one from the first production batch that was released to the general public *sixty years ago,* and it'll still work and sound like it was made yesterday.  

I'm sure you know the routine about reminding the seller how to pack it properly for shipping, but if not, there's a topic around here for that.  

Kenny C

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 04, 2011, 11:11:31 PM
Nice one Kenny! You are building a nice collection. Did you confirm any dates on the inside?

The guy who bought it for me said he asked the seller and it was 112573 it white ink. It could be 11-2-57 3rd shift or 1-12-57 3rd shift.

Quote from: GG on March 04, 2011, 11:14:32 PM

Dude!  Score!  Guess what?  I had that page open on my browser at the 8 minute mark, but then I thought about it and got the vibe that says, someone else around here wants this one really badly.  Chances are it's been through WE's refurb process, since it has a coiled handset cord, so it's likely some other parts were replaced as well.   But nonetheless, that's one from the first production batch that was released to the general public *sixty years ago,* and it'll still work and sound like it was made yesterday. 

I'm sure you know the routine about reminding the seller how to pack it properly for shipping, but if not, there's a topic around here for that. 

GG,
I plan to get the feet replaced and I have a straight 1953 Handset cord to put on it. The guy told him how to pack it.

I am Terribly excited
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Vern P

Yes that is a GREAT find. One thing I see is, the feet are the later round rubber ones.  The dial bezel looks like it may be the early back painted one, but then again, it could be the light. Lets hope it is the early one.

Vern P

PS I have a 1950 500 that I will trade for an later Ivory 1554.   I know, but I can dream.

Kenny C

I think it may be the later because here Is a members 1951 with the early Bezel
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

I Would need a Pretty early dial. 1950-53?  I have a 1953 Case to replace the 1957
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Doug Rose

Nice hit Kenny. Hopefully they didn't remove much under the hood when refurbing it. I can't wait to see pictures....Doug
Kidphone

Dan

Kenny, I know the guy personally and I can be almost certain the guts are untinkered with. I think it will look great with the straight cord.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

GG

Yo Kenny - Possible line cord for you:  Ebay item # 360349396395   title is Western Electric Spade-Tip Line Cords D3BB.  Description says they're NOS, 1954, in military packaging. 

Re. refurb:  if it went through the WE workshops they may have replaced the network and regulator.  Strangely enough when I looked at this I didn't notice that the baseplate feet had been replaced, but you can probably find a source of replacement feet.  The dial number plate is clearly the double-shot molded type. 

I take it the "nice guy" you're referring to is a friend with an Ebay account with PayPal who can get stuff for you that you can't due to age & credit card limits.  If so, that's majorly cool.  The level of cooperation among folks here is awesome. 

HarrySmith

Here is a link to the cords:
http://tinyurl.com/6h2bh7o
Also a picture attached.
The seller is a member of the phone lists. I have purchased several items from him in the past. I usually wait until the auction ends without a sale then I send him a personal email and make an offer. This may not be approved by ebay but I save some money on the price and he saves on the fees.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

Just remember that cord is rubber over rubber.  They're a little stiff compared to vinyl covered.  However that is probably what would have been on an early 500.

Kenny C

I dont think they replaced the network because there is still the rivot for the  equalizer.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan

I am guessing they blacked out the A/B 500 designation there on the bottom with that black paint and stamped it near the top under the word "loud" where all the later ones are. My 1950 has the AB 500 on the bottom by the date.
What do you guys think is under the paint? How about "prototype?"---just wishful thinking for you Kenny!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan/Panther

How did I miss that one ???? Great find..

I wonder what is under the black paint, my guess A/B.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson