News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Wife's Free AE-34 Find

Started by flingwing1969, March 13, 2012, 01:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flingwing1969

Okay, here is my Newbie submission.  I posted this on the find of the month site, but I figure not everyone looks there, so I'll re-post here.  A question came to mind for me regards the fat coiled handset cord on our phone - the Koiled Kord was apparently an option on the AE-40, was it available on the AE-34 as well, and does this appear to be one?

My wife is an avid FreeCycle and CraigsList (free items) "shopper".  She doesn't always tell me when she spots something she simply can't live without, I suppose to avoid my usual, "What are we going to do with THAT." response.  Anyway, she saw an ad saying, "Moving out, everything's up for grabs, for free." and off she went.  She was late to the party but she did learn that the original owner of the home, an avid phone collector, had died and he estate was cleaning things out.  In the garage she spotted a cool looking old phone and she snatched it up - ignoring, unfortunately, the many more phones also in there that she could have had. 

We are now the proud owners of this AE34 in original used condition and in need of only a little cleaning, a bit of polishing, a smidgen of repair to a very small chip on the lip of the mouthpiece, and a proper handset cord (if the coiled one is not correct).  All in due time.  This phone is fully functional and after only a little air to blow out the spider webs, gluing the inside fabric screens back in, cleaning and lubing the governor, and putting on a modular plug - I dialed my father-in-law (an 84 year old retired Ma Bell installer) and we talked on this lovely machine as I told him all about it.  The sound is very nice and, when I had my daughter call us, we found that the ring is absolutely a pleasure to listen to.  A side affect is that the hefty handset is the source of new-found arm-strength as well.

LarryInMichigan

Congratulations on your find.  AE34s are one of the most collectable phones around and usually sell for well over $100. 

Larry

flingwing1969

Thanks Larry.  Do you happen to know if the handset cord on my phone would have been available in the AE-34 era?

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: flingwing1969 on March 13, 2012, 04:13:52 PM
Thanks Larry.  Do you happen to know if the handset cord on my phone would have been available in the AE-34 era?

I seriously doubt it.  I think that AE34s would have all been given straight cloth cords.  Mine has a light brown cloth cord.

Larry

JorgeAmely

You may want to consider buying a replacement rubber gasket for the bottom. Gary Goff sells them for some $11 and will help prevent scratches to your furniture.

There is a possibility that your phone came equipped with an Extensicord instead of a straight cloth cord.

You can see them here:
http://www.houseoftelephones.com/extensicord-by-automatic-electric.html
Jorge

LarryInMichigan

Were Extensicords really around that early?

Larry

JorgeAmely

Hi Larry:

Yes, the Extensicord patent (#1978591) was filed in 1933 and issued in 1934.

You can see more information at Google Patents:
http://www.google.com/patents/US1978591?printsec=drawing&dq=1978591&ei=SMZfT9vNMqPmiAKF7bWsBA#v=onepage&q=1978591&f=false
Jorge

flingwing1969

I'm pretty sure that it is not an Extensacord - mine it far too short.  I think it is likely an after market cord. Thanks for the input though, very interesting.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: flingwing1969 on March 13, 2012, 11:18:25 PM
I'm pretty sure that it is not an Extensacord - mine it far too short.  I think it is likely an after market cord. Thanks for the input though, very interesting.

The Extensicord is a braided cloth cord.  They are quite prized by collectors.

Larry

JorgeAmely

Steve Hilz sometimes has a few for sale.
Jorge

flingwing1969

Thanks Jorge, now I have to convince my wife that "correct" is better than what she likes - wish me luck as I tilt at that windmill.

JorgeAmely

Just watch for those fast spinning blades.  ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

flingwing1969

I'll do that, for sure!  BTW, I polished up the brass (originally it was black, stripped before we got it) and we like it in the brass so I'm unlikely to make it correct by plating the parts or making them black again.  Too cheap.