News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Manual WE 305

Started by Doug Rose, January 25, 2015, 01:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I have been looking for a manual 305 for awhile. I found a real nice one for a really nice price. I love the WE 305s and I have never owned a manual one. This looks like I just have to swap out the cords and maybe the dial blank....Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261739738062
Kidphone

WesternElectricBen

Very nice, Doug. I was going to bid on this phone, but I forgot. I'm wondering what is up with that single prong plug; do you have an idea what is goes to?

Ben

unbeldi

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on January 25, 2015, 02:37:50 PM
Very nice, Doug. I was going to bid on this phone, but I forgot. I'm wondering what is up with that single prong plug; do you have an idea what is goes to?

Ben

This type of plug was the standard plug for mobile telephones throughout the 30s, and even later. Initially the 283A/B (four prong plug) was only used for subset connections to desk telephones.

It has three contacts, just like a switchboard plug.   I believe this is a 273B.

G-Man

273-A and 148 type plugs (3-conductor) were used with 388-A or 389-A jacks were first used to provide portability for sidetone telephones that used subsets.

Later, when anti-sidetone sets (202, ast-deskstands, etc.) were introduced, a fourth conductor was needed between the telephone instrument and the subset.
This is when 4-prong plugs such as the 283-A, which we are all familiar with, were introduced.
Here is a BSP showing both types of plugs and jacks:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/3634-c63-791-ia-ny-jacks-plugs-portable-tel-sets-inside-connections

When the older instruments were being replaced with combined telephones such as the 302, rather than change-out all of the older-style jacks already in place, the subsets were bypassed and those older jacks continued to be used.  However, 4-prong plugs and jacks were installed for use at new installations.

I am not familiar with 3-conductor plugs being used with early mobile telephone installations. These sets consisted of at least three large boxes for the receiver, power-supply, and transmitter, which were installed in the trunk of the vehicle. They were in turn, connected to a dash-mounted control-head via a very large cable run under the carpet to the trunk, and the microphone used four-conductors for the audio and ptt lines. Perhaps there was some other application that I am unfamiliar with.

Also, thanks to those who welcomed me back to the forum after a lengthy absence. I have been extremely busy with integrating the operations of another company that we acquired.

Doug Rose

The plug will be removed, if anyone wants it, let me know...Doug
Kidphone

andre_janew

I didn't know they had mobile phones in the 30s.  Of course, when I think of mobile phones, I think of the type that people have in their cars.

unbeldi

Quote from: andre_janew on January 25, 2015, 05:10:32 PM
I didn't know they had mobile phones in the 30s.  Of course, when I think of mobile phones, I think of the type that people have in their cars.

Very well, the actual term then was ''portable''.  A portable telephone was installed upon special order for inside and outside locations in large residences or other premises, I suppose, so people could move a single telephone to various locations.

See for example,
H.K. Krantz, Jacks and Plugs for Portable Telephones, BLR 12(11), 347 (July 1934).

TelePlay

Quote from: unbeldi on January 25, 2015, 05:30:12 PM
A portable telephone was installed upon special order for inside and outside locations in large residences or other premises, I suppose, so people could move a single telephone to various locations.

Yes, indeed. Anyone who likes to watch old black and white movies, usually drama or mystery, will infrequently see a waiter bring a phone over to a table and plug it into a jack under the table so the call can be received or placed by the customer. Patio decks are another place that happened - wouldn't want to leave a phone out in the weather. If I ever run across such a scene, I hope to grab a picture of it for posterity.

G-Man

Quote from: unbeldi on January 25, 2015, 05:30:12 PM
Quote from: andre_janew on January 25, 2015, 05:10:32 PM

Very well, the actual term then was ''portable''.  A portable telephone was installed upon special order for inside and outside locations in large residences or other premises, I suppose, so people could move a single telephone to various locations.

See for example,
H.K. Krantz, Jacks and Plugs for Portable Telephones, BLR 12(11), 347 (July 1934).

Ahh.. Thanks for the clarification. Generally references to mobile telephones are associated with wireless installations.
Here is the link to the Bell Labs article that you cited; and thanks to Chuck Hensley for uploading it to the TCI Library:
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/11289-34jul-blr-p343-jacks-and-plugs-for-portable-telephones

G-Man

I just now looked at the additional photos on the auction page and viewed the interesting number card.

That, combined with the instrument being a manual 305 with an early three-conductor plug, makes me envious as to how Doug Rose, Sargeguy, Ken Stubblefield,  and the other seasoned collectors on this site seem to always come across the most interesting telephones and associated  paraphernalia.

Doug Rose

thanks G-man......it's more luck than anything for me. ....and I spend way too much time on eBay....Doug
Kidphone

Babybearjs

Doug.... Lucky you! I was looking at the phone too and wanted to see what it would fetch... next time I might just throw in a bid if another one shows up at a low price.... that is if there's no bidding war!
John

Doug Rose

I received the 305 today and was shocked that the box was so heavy. Heavy..... because its a metal phone with simply amazing paint. Dated 3/40 throughout, not bad at all for a SEVENTY FIVE year old phone. Looks like it was hardly ever used. Everything works as it should. Marked H4 inside the shell. Cords have to be replaced and the plug is spoken for.

Normally I would be down in the dungeon working on this, but I have the Flu and I cannot concentrate enough to work on it. ....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I got me 305 cleaned up today, but I am not really happy with the pictures. Snowing again in Boston and the Flu makes everyting a chore. Looks much better than the pics. Does this look metal to you? Paint is perfect, no marks anywhere...Doug
Kidphone

WesternElectricBen

Looks amazing, Doug.

Ben