News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40 Handset (AE Type 41) Connections

Started by court84, November 03, 2013, 08:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

court84

I recently purchased an ae 40 monophone with a headset that was broken in two pieces.
I purchased a headset on ebay but when it arrived it had 4 wires( red, black,white and white) instead of the three (red green yellow) on the broken headset.  I can get a dial tone but nothing else. Also it will not show that the line is open when it is off the receiver. I have looked at the wiring diagram and have been unable to get it to work.  Also there is a black wire and a white wire that are coming from the bell and I don't know where they should go.  Help!

poplar1

Quote from: court84 on November 03, 2013, 08:20:06 PM
I recently purchased an ae 40 monophone with a headset that was broken in two pieces.
I purchased a headset on ebay but when it arrived it had 4 wires( red, black,white and white) instead of the three (red green yellow) on the broken headset.  I can get a dial tone but nothing else. Also it will not show that the line is open when it is off the receiver. I have looked at the wiring diagram and have been unable to get it to work.  Also there is a black wire and a white wire that are coming from the bell and I don't know where they should go.  Help!

If the handsets are the same, then they probably just had a cord that was intended for a newer phone such as a WE 500. You can just make sure that the transmitter (BR in handset) goes to the terminal marked T in the phone, receiver (R in handset) to R in phone and common (OR in handset) to C in phone. The colors don't matter as long as the wires are going to the right terminals on each end.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

G-Man

What type of handset did you purchase? Was if manufactured for use on an A.E. 40?
If you do not know can you provide a link to the eBay auction?

I have provided a couple of wiring diagrams and even though the color codes may be different, they still should be of use.

AE_Collector

The handset cord colors shown on the above wiring diagrams are for the old cloth cords. It sounds as though someone had put a non AE vinyl cord on your phone. If you had a newer AE vinyl cord it would have green, red & yellow conductors.

New Green would replace Old OR(onge).
New Red would replace Old BR(own).
New Yellow would replace Old RED.

Terry

court84

Thanks for help on previous question.
I recently replaced a broken headset on an ae40.  I get a good dial tone until I
install the transmitter and then the volume drops to where i can barely
hear the dial tone.  What have I done wrong? Also when I try to talk on
it I can barely be heard by the person on the other end.

LarryInMichigan

I expect that you have the wires connected incorrectly.  The wire on the 'T' terminal in the phone should go to the transmitter, the one on 'R' should go the receiver, and the one on 'C' should go to both.

Larry

poplar1

With the transmitter completely removed from the handle, you should *not* hear dial tone except when another phone is off the hook.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

G-Man

Quote from: court84 on November 07, 2013, 02:27:42 PM
Thanks for help on previous question.
I recently replaced a broken headset on an ae40.  I get a good dial tone until I
install the transmitter and then the volume drops to where i can barely
hear the dial tone.  What have I done wrong? Also when I try to talk on
it I can barely be heard by the person on the other end.

As previously stated, the colors shown may be different but the wires should be connected as shown in the diagram.

G-Man

This is not directed strictly at you since this is a common occurrence, and not to be overly picky, but you keep referring to it as a "headset" instead of a handset.

Whenever possible it is best to use the correct terminology so others will not have to guess what you are talking about.

Also it would be nice if those who receive assistance in solving a problem would report back once they are able to solve it.

This helps others who have a similar problem to know whether the advice that was given was useful or not.

G-Man

Here is another drawing with an added fourth conductor and its connections.

court84

Thanks again to every one.
The handset I have has 4 screws 1 is BR
                                               1 is  OR
                                                1 is  R
                                                 1 has no marking

G-Man

Quote from: court84 on November 07, 2013, 05:18:01 PM
                                              1 is  OR
                                               1 is  R
                                                1 has no marking

As shown in the drawings, connect as follows:

BR to T
R to R
OR to C
Unmarked to C

Since you didn't tell us if this is the same 4-conductor cord you mentioned in your first thread, I am going to guess at the colors and their respective connections.

Red to C
White to C
White to R
Black to BR T

G-Man

CORRECTION = Black to T

Quote from: G-Man on November 07, 2013, 05:27:33 PM
                                               1 is  OR
                                                1 is  R
                                                 1 has no marking

As shown in the drawings, connect as follows:

BR to T
R to R
OR to C
Unmarked to C

Since you didn't tell us if this is the same 4-conductor cord you mentioned in your first thread, I am going to guess at the colors and their respective connections.

Red to C
White to C
White to R
Black to BR

G-Man

If you continue to have problems connecting it, as was previously requested in your first thread, please provide a link to the eBay auction that you purchased your replacement handset.

That way we can tell if it is a Western Electric, Automatic Electric, Stromberg Carlson or whatever type of handset may be.

Some photos may also be of assistance.

That way we won't have to continue to guess at what you are connecting.

G-Man

1 is  OR
                                                1 is  R
                                                 1 has no marking

OK, it's obviously an A.E. handset.

Check the color of the wires to each terminal and compare them to the drawings.