News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

DST Time Shift

Started by 19and41, November 05, 2017, 07:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

The biological clock stays at the old time, but my alarm, wall clocks and two watches reset themselves.  Nice not to start off at the wrong time
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Doug Rose

instead of my internal alarm waking me at 4:45. I was awake at 3:45. I am ready for a nap.....Doug
Kidphone

twocvbloke

Us brits went through the time change last weekend, doesn't bother me, I never follow a clock, I go by when the sun's up and down... ;D

Babybearjs

I wish they'd quit playing with the clocks... the time shifts should be once in the spring on the spring equinox, and another on the fall on the autum equinox.... that way, its even....
John

19and41

I don't know what it is, but my SkyScan clocks each change at the specified time, then change back during the day.  Then I have to manually reset them again.
— Arthur C. Clarke

AE_Collector

There seems to be a growing movement towards "why do we keep doing this again"?

As for resetting things it is getting easier all the time. I was thinking this to myself while searching for devices needing to be reset. Security System keypads all reset themselves. All phones fix themselves with the call display from the first incoming call. Cell phones reset automatically. TV boxes are IP based so nothing needed messing with there. My thermostat is connected to my wifi and adjusts itself. All I could find to reset myself was the stove, microwave and one alarm clock. Oh and I have started wearing a wristwatch again so it needed to be set back an hour too.

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on November 05, 2017, 09:28:08 PM

I really wonder how they made or did the adjustments when they were using sundials?

twocvbloke

Quote from: AE_Collector on November 05, 2017, 09:28:08 PM

That's been growing for years, over here the main reason for it was during WWI and WWII when farmers needed more daylight to work through to avoid being bombed at night for running lights, of course, the more sensible option would be "Get up earlier then you numpty!!", but instead the government decided just to fudge about with the clocks instead so that everyone suffered, and they just forgot to stop doing it, given that farmers an work 24/7/365 with all the lights they need blazing on their machinery...

The case people put forward for keeping it is that they get more light when going to work in the mornings during the winter and more light in the evening during summer, but again, that doesn't fly with me, "getting more light" out of a fixed orbit around a sun with a fixed rotational speed of this Earth of ours, well, all I can say is, "Get up earlier then you numpty!!"... ;D

Haf

DST was first introduced in the Kaiserreich in April, 30th 1916. It was a significant factor to win the war! Oh, wait a minute- we lost the war. Gone was the Kaiser and the DST with him. Then in 1939 we started another war- and this time we win with DST. No, we didn't! Again DST diappeared.
In 1970 Cadillac introduced the 8.2 liter engine-that led to the world wide energy crisis in 1973. But only France introduced the DST in 1976 again.
The British by the way introduced DST after Germany in 1916 too- and never changed back. Hard to get rid of old habbits (they call traditions) like umbrellas and bowler hats eh?

And ever since then there is a discussion if all that makes any sense at all, change back,no  change , whatever. I was born without DST and didn't become a Morlock ;)

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

19and41

The main benefit I see is actually having daylight during what is supposed to be the daylight hours,  I like that.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

But regardless of what a clock says, daylight happens at between the same global rotation every day, so fiddling a clock doesn't change anything... :)

19and41

That's correct, it just changes when your waking and working hours as the daylight interval changes.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

In which case, change when you wake up and go to work, not the clocks... :)

19and41

It looks like you are going to make changes from your end,  I'm fine with it. :D
— Arthur C. Clarke

WEBellSystemChristian

I get up at 4:50 every morning, and there are two DST pluses for me: The sun is finally rising when I drive to work, and it's darker for a longer period at night, so it's easier for me to go to bed earlier.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford