News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg Red Bar 1000

Started by Pourme, November 21, 2016, 08:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

Last night I was getting ready to go to bed and decided to check EBAY one more time. Being relatively new to this hobby, one of the phones on my list is a Kellogg Red Bar phone. Just hours earlier I didn't see this. It looks to be a metal body Kellogg 1000 marked "HB4". At a BIN of $9.99 I jumped! Are these like 302's in that metal cases were mostly pre war and the Bakelite bodies post war?

I still don't know much about these but I am pleased to have one on the way.

Anybody have a number card holder to sell? I would like to have one of those with that really cool Kellogg logo on it!

I am in the process of reading what I can find on the forum about this find...

http://tinyurl.com/hsokzpn

Benny

Edit:
  I'm finding a lot of my questions answered in earlier posts like this one

http://tinyurl.com/zw4jo7j
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

poplar1

I believe the K1000 was introduced after the war (1947?). Per Roger Conklin, the metal housings were available to customers who insisted on them (with good reason, since the Kellite housings are so brittle).

An Automatic Electric dial escutcheon will work.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

$9.99 for a metal Kellogg 1000 series is a very good price.  That phone may have a frequency ringer in it.  Steve Hilsz might have a SL ringer.  You can touch up the paint around the cradle with a black paint marker.  I like the Testors brand.  Whatever you do, DON'T drop the phone on your foot!

Larry

Pourme

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 21, 2016, 10:15:07 AM
$9.99 for a metal Kellogg 1000 series is a very good price.  That phone may have a frequency ringer in it.  Steve Hilsz might have a SL ringer.  You can touch up the paint around the cradle with a black paint marker.  I like the Testors brand.  Whatever you do, DON'T drop the phone on your foot!

Larry

Ha!...Thanks for the tip(s) I will keep a firm grip on it!

in what is titled KELLOGG MASTERPHONES, 1947 It lists HB4 as a 66 cycle Harmonic ringer.

Does that mean it won't ring on my 616?

Thanks!

Benny
Benny

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Pourme on November 21, 2016, 10:36:47 AM
in what is titled KELLOGG MASTERPHONES, 1947 It lists HB4 as a 66 cycle Harmonic ringer.
Does that mean it won't ring on my 616?

I don't have a 616, but I thought that it could be programmed to ring at various frequencies.  If the phone has a 66cy ringer, it will not ring when supplied with a standard 20cy ringing signal.

One thing to keep in mind is that the transmitters in these Kellogg handsets are really lousy and often provide poor sound quality and sometimes loud static as well.  I have alot of Kellogg phones around here, but I do not use them because people complain about how my voice sounds when using them.

Larry

Jim Stettler

I have always liked the red bar phones. At my first telephone show (1989) I bought a redbar w/o handset for$5.00 and a handset w/cord for $3.00.
Some misc. comments about red bars.
The red bar phone has a wiring plug to connect shell components to the base. The same base is used for the wall phone. There are at least 2 different "Bars" for the red bar telephone, there is also a "clear" bar that shows up on some black phones and the colored models.

JMO,
Jim S.

Nice set at a great price. You should put it in Find of the month.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

unbeldi

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 21, 2016, 11:31:57 AM
I don't have a 616, but I thought that it could be programmed to ring at various frequencies.  If the phone has a 66cy ringer, it will not ring when supplied with a standard 20cy ringing signal.

Larry

The Panasonic PBXs, 616 or 308, have no settings for ringing frequency.
Actually I have never read about any PBX with that capability, as they are not commonly used to provide party line service.
Some may ring at a slightly different frequency, 25 Hz, or even 30 Hz as is well known from key systems.
However, PABX systems did exist that used 50 Hz (in Europe) and 60 Hz (in N.A.) because they simply used utility line voltage for ringing.

Oddly, many VoIP adapters can be configured for any ringing frequency.  Usually though, one has to access them by their command line interface. A few have the option in the web configuration.  However, the draw back is that most VoIP adapters do not permit pulse dialing.

Pourme

Thanks for the response

It appears I will be on the hunt for a dial card holder and a ringer!

If we didn't have a want list, what fun would this be?
Benny

LarryInMichigan

Wait until you have the phone.  It is possible that the ringer was replaced int the past.  If you do need one, and nobody here has a spare, I would contact Steve Hilsz.  I think that I bought one from him several years ago.

Larry

Pourme

Benny

HarrySmith

The dial appears to be AE so a number card holder should be easy to find. A picture of the inside would tell for sure.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

Even if the dial is a Kellogg copy of the AE, an AE dial center would fit.

Larry

Pourme

Thanks guys...I will definitely post pics next week when it arrives!

Thanks!
Benny

Pourme

USPS dropped it on my door step before I got up this morning!

Good news! My $9.95+ shipping, metal Red Bar rings!

Someone taped the bells up to soften the ring, I freed the gongs and widened the space and let 'em RING!

The dial doesn't want to return, I included pic so someone can tell me what type it is.

Both cords appear to be original,

My 1st Red Bar and I am thrilled!

Benny

HarrySmith

Not surprising the dial does not work, probably one of the dirtiest I have seen! It appears to be an AE dial. I would send it to Steve Hilsz for cleaning & calibration. He might have a dial card retainer for it also.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"