News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg Red Bar 1000

Started by Pourme, November 21, 2016, 08:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Dial is marked 15-G so it's a Kellogg. Ringer is frequency selective but probably 16~ (Synchromonic  --
HB-5) or 16 2/3~ (Harmonic -- HA-4).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Ktownphoneco

Benny  ....   Nice set !   The dial appears to have been made by Kellogg under license from Automatic Electric I believe.   Without seeing the inner workings under the porcelain number plate, I'm assuming it replicates the A.E. type 24 dial.     It has the equivalent of A.E.'s type AK25 spring stack.    They are a nice set to restore.    If you need a dial number card assembly, and a Kellogg number card reproduction, let me know.     Attached is a picture of my red bar with the company logo on the transmitter ring re-painted, along with the hook switch plunger.

Jeff Lamb

unbeldi

Quote from: Pourme on November 26, 2016, 08:35:24 AM

Someone taped the bells up to soften the ring, I freed the gongs and widened the space and let 'em RING!

If you take out the ringer by removing the two screws in the mounting wings. you should find its frequency designation on the yoke end, stamped in ink. It might be possible to see without removing it though, I can't remember.  In any case, here are examples of synchromonic ringer designation on the No. 124 ringer, which is what you have.

It is probably one of  16 Hz (HB-5), 16 2/3 Hz (HA-4), 20 Hz (HC-1), or 25 Hz (HA-5) type of the size of the clapper weight.  Most of these might at least ring with some intensity on a 20 Hz line.  The last one (25 Hz) might be very weak.  I don't think I have an HA-5 ringer to see whether it has a shortened clapper weight or not.

One of the ringers in the picture is the original ringer installed in your phone, HB-4.

Pourme

Quote from: unbeldi on November 26, 2016, 09:50:00 AM
If you take out the ringer by removing the two screws in the mounting wings. you should find its frequency designation on the yoke end, stamped in ink. It might be possible to see without removing it though, I can't remember.  In any case, here are examples of synchromonic ringer designation on the No. 124 ringer, which is what you have.

It is probably one of  16 Hz (HB-5), 16 2/3 Hz (HA-4), 20 Hz (HC-1), or 25 Hz (HA-5) type of the size of the clapper weight.  Most of these might at least ring with some intensity on a 20 Hz line.  The last one (25 Hz) might be very week.  I don't think I have an HA-5 ringer to see whether it has a shortened clapper weight or not.

One of the ringers in the picture is the original ringer installed in your phone, HB-4.

Here is what I found...
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Pourme

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on November 26, 2016, 09:31:18 AM
Benny  ....   Nice set !   The dial appears to have been made by Kellogg under license from Automatic Electric I believe.   Without seeing the inner workings under the porcelain number plate, I'm assuming it replicates the A.E. type 24 dial.     It has the equivalent of A.E.'s type AK25 spring stack.    They are a nice set to restore.    If you need a dial number card assembly, and a Kellogg number card reproduction, let me know.     Attached is a picture of my red bar with the company logo on the transmitter ring re-painted, along with the hook switch plunger.

Jeff Lamb

Thanks for the info, Jeff.....That is a beautiful 1000 you have!...
I'll get deeper into the dial soon!
Benny

poplar1

Quote from: Pourme on November 26, 2016, 10:35:06 AM
Here is what I found...

It makes sense that it is an HB-5, since the original ringer was also an HB- series (HB-4). It's possible that the ringer was changed by the original telephone company that owned it, possibly during a "regrouping" of parties, and that all the other ringers they used were also Synchromonic (30~, 42~, 54~, 66~ or 16~). Although that company may have also had some straight line ringers, it's not likely that they would have had any harmonic (33 1/3~, 50~, 66 2/3~, 16 2/3~, 25~) or decimonic (20~, 60~, 30~, 40~, 50~) ringers.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Benny.....seeing your Kellogg 1000 Red Bar reminded me I had one in my to do pile. It was a mess covered in paint (no before pics sorry, I remeber afterwards) and the cords were bad. Also the handset screws were missing. They are not the same size as WEs!!  I just finished it before the grandkids arrive. I love the great deco look of the Red bars...Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Pourme on November 26, 2016, 10:35:06 AM
Here is what I found...

I would guess that the local telco replaced the ringer when the phone was moved from one subscriber to another.  At any rate, a 16cy ringer will probably work well enough on a standard 20Hz ringing signal that you won't have to worry about finding a new ringer.

Larry

Pourme

Doug, yours is a Kelite version, absent all the chipped paint and scratches that mark mine. It also don't look to have cracks and chips that tend to haunt a lot of these as well. What a beautiful example of a Kellogg Red Bar, would be a proud addition to anyone's collection!

Larry, I was pleased to see that somewhere in it's lifetime someone did a alteration that also benefits me today! It saved me the the trouble!
Benny

Doug Rose

Strip the metal base and polish it, makes a real nice looking phone....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

Benny

Pourme

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 27, 2016, 07:56:48 PM
Strip the metal base and polish it, makes a real nice looking phone....Doug

I'll just say

Great idea!...It's underway, early results look great! I'll unveil the results when it is completely finished!

Thanks for reminding me what you did with that spectacular RCA phone!

Benny
Benny