News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

magic jack versus ooma, versus ???

Started by RB, May 25, 2018, 09:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigmaz

I run several ht502's with my asterisk servers.
I have 8 GV trunks running on one of them on a server running on digital ocean droplet (cloud based).
The 502's handle the pulse dials just dandy.

So yes do pick up one or two but beware of the Vonage distributed ones.
Sometimes they are difficult to unlock or change the firmware on.
I had 2 that were Vonage locked and I remember fighting with them a little to open them up.

But overall, you'll be very pleased with the 502's or you could use any ATA you like if you pipe your phones through a Panasonic 308 or a 616. :)

dc4code

Quote from: Sigmaz on May 27, 2018, 05:31:39 PM
I run several ht502's with my asterisk servers.
I have 8 GV trunks running on one of them on a server running on digital ocean droplet (cloud based).
The 502's handle the pulse dials just dandy.

So yes do pick up one or two but beware of the Vonage distributed ones.
Sometimes they are difficult to unlock or change the firmware on.
I had 2 that were Vonage locked and I remember fighting with them a little to open them up.

But overall, you'll be very pleased with the 502's or you could use any ATA you like if you pipe your phones through a Panasonic 308 or a 616. :)

Yeah same, I have a raspberry pi with FreePBX on it and 4 GV trunks but in a few weeks Google Voice is discontinuing XMPP and they are adding Native VoIP whatever that means hopefully they mean like there will be an interface with SIP or IAX credentials, that would be cool! :)

compubit

No luck with pulse dialing on my Ooma box...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Owain

Quote from: dc4code on May 27, 2018, 05:50:53 PM
Yeah same, I have a raspberry pi with FreePBX on it and 4 GV trunks but in a few weeks Google Voice is discontinuing XMPP and they are adding Native VoIP whatever that means

I think GV Native VoIP means you can use GV as the default telephony provider in Android, so when you tap 'talk' on an Android app it uses the GV service for making the call.

A quick 'google' doesn't seem to suggest they'll be offering a open-protocol SIP interface yet.

Sigmaz

Quote from: dc4code on May 27, 2018, 05:50:53 PM
Yeah same, I have a raspberry pi with FreePBX on it and 4 GV trunks but in a few weeks Google Voice is discontinuing XMPP and they are adding Native VoIP whatever that means hopefully they mean like there will be an interface with SIP or IAX credentials, that would be cool! :)

I just took delivery of two OBIHAI 202's these will let you continue to use your GV trunks with your asterisk deployment.

The work around right now is for the Obi to be an intermediary between GV and *.. (inbound & outbound)
I have it running here and it's pretty painless to configure and is seamless in operation.

Latency doesn't seem to be as bad as I had originally thought it would be and can be better reduced if your Obi is on the same network as your * server..
(The one I'm interfacing with is running on a Digital Ocean droplet)

If you intend on keeping your GV trunks in service, now's the time to get cracking.

AE_Collector

I liked it when the only thing between trunks and phone system was a piece of jumper wire secured in place with a 66 tool. And to be more specific I prefer when the jumper wire was white and black (unless on the CO frame where it also came with a red C lead) rather than a yellow blue pair.

And that's all I have to say about that!

Terry

SunriseEarth

I just got an OBi200 and am using with Google Voice.   So far it works great with my 616 and all the phones on it!
Tony Stokes

TCI Member; ATCA Member #4893