News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Salon Care Creme on Sale

Started by compubit, January 19, 2015, 12:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

For folks using the Salon Care Creme from Sally Beauty Supply - it's on sale for the month of January 2015 for $3 for the 32 oz. bottles in 10 - 40 strength.

I bought some to try on a Blue Trimline with minimal results - so it's off to sanding for that one. I plan on using it on a Sculptura phone that's severely yellowed (into a light tan color) - just have to get it apart (particularly the handset...).

Jim (newcomer to the forum, but having fun with the info y'all have here)
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

HarrySmith

Thanks for the heads up.
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you are already hooked, no sense in a warning about Phoneitis here!
Have you read all the topics on the peroxide bleaching? Have you been using sunlight or UV lamps? Are you getting even application and exposure? Lots of trial and error in this bleaching. I used it on a light blue 500 once and it came out great. Anything to avoid sanding!
There is a trick to the Sculptura handset IIRC, did you search here? I am sure someone here with experience on them will chime in, I have not worked on one at all.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

compubit

I just tried "soaking" it in the Creme.  I left on for a couple of hours, but no Sunlight of late up here (DC) - plus I'm looking for a UV lamp as an alternative, as lots of trees in my neighborhood, and I don't want to wait until summer to begin tackling the Sculptura...

I saw a link to a YouTube video on the Sculptura, but haven't watched it yet - too busy sanding (and catching up on the forum). I'm currently playing with the blue Trimline - it's a 1980 vintage, and if I trash it, I'll hunt down empty Trimline cases for the guts (all modular). I want to make sure I have my process in place before attacking my 1969 rotary pink Trimline...

Eventually, I'd like to restore a 354 for my WW-II era townhome kitchen.

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

compubit

Just got back from Sally last night to pick up some 40 for a white 2500.

For February - gallons are on sale for $8.99 (according to the sign they posted early) - I was able to get my quart for $3.

No more Sally runs for a while, as I have plenty of 20, 30, and 40...

Jim

compubit

Gallons are again on sale in June for $8.99. I just ran out, so I stocked up today.

I also learned the hard way - keep the lid on the bottles tight. After 2 weeks out of town (plus the week after catching up at work), I found 1 bottle with a loose lid, and the gel had degraded to a water consistency (and probably had the potency of water...).

Working on my Light Gray 554...

Jim