News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How White was White in 1962.

Started by Dan/Panther, April 25, 2009, 12:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I got this 500 today, all matching numbers and it is coded dial 7C-58. You can see it's not White but inside and outside are very much the same color throughout the phone.
Was white originally Ivory ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan

I just got an ivory, and I'll post pics of it next to a white so you can see the difference. (tomorrow, it's bedtime). I have a soft plastic white and ivory from 59 and 56, respectively
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan

Here's a white 1959 soft plastic (left ) vs a yellowed ivory 1956

http://tinyurl.com/dfnyla

here's the white phone next to a MINT NOS Ivory sheel from 1955

http://tinyurl.com/c3nk4l

You can really whiten up a white one following the bleaching peroxide process .
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan/Panther

Dan;
Mine looks just like your NOS Ivory, even in the little nooks and crannies it's Ivory. The cord, the inside of the caps everything is Ivory, and it matches the dial color perfectly, yet the dial calls the color White.
Is it posible to yellow even inside the handset, threads etc ? almost perfectly even ? The ony way I could think it would be able to do that, would to have been be in the dark, in some kind of environment that had something in the air. Other than that I would think a hint of a lighter shade of White would show up somewhere.
I don't get it.
D/P

Dan

Is the underside of the dial plate ivory too?

McHeath

My aqua blue 1500 from 68' was pretty heavily yellowed from what looked like tobacco smoke.  Perhaps yours has been as well. 

Steve

It looks pretty white on my computer screen.

maybe you could take another photo with a piece of white paper?
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Dan/Panther

Here are a couple more close ups.
Note that the color is consistant throughtout, no obvious lighter areas that may haver been covered.
D/P

Steve

Definitely not white. looks yellowed more than ivory in the last pics.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Dan/Panther

Are you saying it is not originally white, or jusyt it doesn't appear white. I know it doesnm't appear white, but the numbering indicates white, yet it's more an Ivory color, but even the cord inside the handset is tghe same inside ther phone and outsaide ther phone, How can it be that the phone shows no ibvious darker and lighter areas. The photo doesn't reflect the consistant color.
The original photos I posted show a more real color as to how it appears in person.
The only thing I can figure is it must have been used in an areas where the environmen t discolored it, and maybe some form of condition where the atmosphere was able to get into all areas of thre phone and discxolor it evenly through out.
D/P

Dan

It looks like a yellowed white one to me.

McHeath

Maybe the dial color code was originally on a white phone and then moved onto this one which looks more ivoryish.

Or uh, I dunno.   ???

bingster

I don't know that I'd go along with yellowed white, given that the cords are a dead match to the shell and handset.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Bingster;
Even inside the coils are the same Ivory color. The first photos I posted are a better representation of the actual color, even in the deepest recesses of the underside of the shell are the same shade. the line cord also inside and outside the shell. the handset cord running down the center of the handset is also the same shade ?
One more thing, the base inside hardly even had dust in it.

D/P

Dennis Markham

I think it was white and has discolored.  Perhaps from some other environmental condition other than UV light.  But that's just from looking at the photo.  The last photo looks lighter between the cradle ears.  I doesn't look like my ivory 500.  Unless it's a yellowed Ivory.  The -58 color suffix supports the white theory.