News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO 746 Mk.1 vs. Mk.2, another slight difference...

Started by twocvbloke, August 05, 2012, 06:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Aside from the sloped handset cradle that is... :D

I was just looking inside the green 746 and don't think I've mentioned it before, but the blanking plate for the accessory button slot on the green 746 is different to the later blanking plates, and is more like the one from the 706 (seeing how I have that to compare to now!!), so, yet another transitional feature between the 706 and final production 746 phones... :D

Oh, and you can see the vents are different on the cases too, but I think that's a manufacturer-specific thing... :)

Some comparison pics:

andy1702

I just found this thread and what an interesting nugget of information! I never noticed that before.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

twocvbloke

Yes, it was a neat little find when I first cam across it in this phone, and of all my 746-type phones, this was the only one to have the blank clipped in place with the metal piece... :)

andy1702

Just off the top of my head... is the plastic blanking piece a slightly different shape? I'm wondering if with the early case having a different profile the differences extended far enough forward on the top to require a different blank? I'll have to dig one of my early 746s out to have a look.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

twocvbloke

Having just compared my 746-type phones to this one, there is actually a slight difference, the top of the blank on this phone seems to be pretty flat, but the later ones seem to be slightly rounded on top, it's a small difference, but noticeable... :)

Of course, with all the different manufacturers of the GPO's telephones, one may have stuck with a flat-top while others went with rounded, so, may not be an accurate way to work out whether or not it's this type of blank... :)