News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Remarked WE Stick

Started by Doug Rose, August 20, 2015, 02:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Jan and I went down to a B&B in Hyannis for Four days and we found a Flea market on a Wednesday Morning in Sandwich. I found this WE stick in need of TLC for the right price and bought it.

After looking it over I saw the old Hershey Kiss Perch, nice. BUT I was more intrigued by the transmitter, It had been XXX out from a 323 and was re-branded a 337. On the stem it is marked 20 S but that appears to be crossed out as well. All I need is a bottom and I have  some.....somewhere :-X

A few before pics, any ideas?....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Well, the 323 transmitter was rebuilt as a 337.

Both came out of a similar redesign of the 329 (1913):  323 & 352 in 1917, and 337 in 1919.

The 337 used a new form of button with a conical back, rather than flat.  This increased the transmitter efficiency and the resistance of the unit, which made it preferable for long loops.

The 1020-S is from early 10s with black enamel finish.  See Bulletin 1079-B (ca. 1912).  122-W receiver.
Or even earlier, 1908 catalog. 228-W transmitter, 122-W receiver, 234 cord.

Doug Rose

thanks Karl...I was looking for information on the xxx out on the transmitter and the perch. I had only ever seen xxx out  on #2 finger stops. ....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 20, 2015, 07:11:37 PM
thanks Karl...I was looking for information on the xxx out on the transmitter and the perch. I had only ever seen xxx out  on #2 finger stops. ....Doug

XXX over original model number is not that unusual for the perch (lug holder). Look on the front or the side of perch for the new code(s) on your just acquired phone!...possibly 20-AL.

I don't recall a transmitter like this one, with the new code on the front. More often, there will just be a line through the transmitter part number (323 for example), and the new code, along with the conversion date, will be stamped in vermilion ink on the painted side of the diaphragm. The new code number and date are visible when you remove the snuff catcher (mouthpiece).

I'll try to find some photos to post here later.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

thanks David.....it is marked 20 AL on the front of the perch. I do appreciate the information....many thanks...Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Here is another conversion: 20-S to (20-AL?) and transmitter converted to 337:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Western-Electric-Candlestick-Telephone-/321837921660
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on August 20, 2015, 09:33:21 PM
Quote from: Doug Rose on August 20, 2015, 07:11:37 PM

XXX over original model number is not that unusual for the perch (lug holder).

There is another example on the forum, also a 337 conversion also repunched this way, but I can't find it right now.

Doug Rose

I finished the stick today and I am very happy how out came out. All original paint....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

remarked a 20 AL in front. with a 1 in front...Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 21, 2015, 02:48:29 PM
remarked a 20 AL in front. with a 1 in front...Doug

Looks like converted to a 120-AL,  not 20.

A 120-AL is the anti-sidetone version, so this tells you the conversion happened in ca. 1931-1935, or later even.  It may have taken place separately though, indeed.  Perhaps 20-AL first, then 120-AL.

Doug Rose

thanks Karl.....I appreciate the outstanding information. I did not know this and have never seen one.....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Does the mounting cord have four wires?
It should.

I would think that it's not that easy to find a 120-AL.

Here is the wiring for it:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14680.msg152331#msg152331
Same as 140-AL.

Doug Rose

It has four wires, cords are both in really nice shape...all is original except the bottom plate with an excellent cover. Looks like it will visit eBay on Sunday, unless I have a change of heart....thanks for all your info on this....Doug
Kidphone