News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

yard sale finds

Started by bwanna, September 09, 2009, 09:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwanna

a day of "saleing" netted these finds. nothing spectacular. but everything was cheap. all are for sale. if anyone is interested PM me. i will provide more details/pics.

guess i'm tired.
i forgot the pic :o
donna

foots

Wow, bwanna, nice find.
Hobie, those 2 trimline phoes appear to be the wall mounted ones.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

McHeath

Those are nice finds.  You'd never find anything like that at a yard sale here, it's all been thrown away, sadly. 

Greg G.

Any of them on the forum's list of birthday phones?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bwanna

my apologies to all for not having more info/pics right now. was a busy weekend "up north" at the weekend house. all i had time to do was snap this shot on my way out & back to the real world. i will get more details & post this weekend. :(

foots, the the "trimlines" are AE stylines. the yellow one is TT.

mcheath,in the area where i "sale", live alot of old folks & folks w/o many $$$. many make their living with perpetual yard sales. nothing gets thrown away.  lucky for me ;D

briny, will check dates against the list.
donna

Dan

Donna, I may find one or two of those in an ENTIRE yard sale season, and you get four on one day! You are definately in a hot spot for phones.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Stephen Furley

What's the black one; Multi-line 'phone?  Secretarial key system?

bwanna

dan, i will admit, sat was an above average day. typiclly i will find one phone in a day of shopping. not to rub it in, but at the flea market the next day, i got a blue rotary butt set (8$)

stephen, the black set is for a WE key system. not sure of the model number. the date, i think, was 1955.
donna

Phonesrfun

The key system phone is a 540, 541,543,544, 545, or something like that, depending on whether the buttons are lighted and other things.  If the first button is not a hold button, then it doesn't have hold.  The buttons could be configured at the time of installation to be a line pick-up or signaling, or an intercom.  Goes with a 551 Key system unit, which is of the 1A2 family.  1955 may have been 1A1, but they did not have square buttons in 1955.

Here is a link to more information than you will probably want to read.

http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#Key_Sets

By the way, Donna, you used the caps on WE.  Thought I'd let you know of that slip-up.  Don't let it happen again.
-Bill G

McHeath

All rotary phones in Central California that could have been yard sale fodder have been disposed of in the nearest landfill as per Official State Regulation G-789b/.3 which mandates that any phone technology older than January 1, 2003 be immediately removed from service because it's "Old". 

Which is why I never ever see one for sale at the neighborhood junk sale, and they look at me like I just grew a slimy green head out of my thorax when I ask them "Do you have any old rotary phones".

Often I make the little whirlie thingie in the air with my finger to simulate dialing a rotary phone, because often as not they will look at me blankly for a moment.

"You know, (makes whirlie thingie in air with index finger) RO-Tare-EEE phone, the kind you SPIN the dial on."

"Oh, those old things.  I had one once but I threw it away.  Why would you want one of those?"

"Because they have the ability to prolong human life while simultaneously making you look like either Brad Pitt circa 2001 if you are male, or Gina Lollobrigida circa 1960 if you are female.  So do you know of any laying about?"

"Nah, we threw all them things out years ago.  I think my mom had one until a while back, but we tossed it too, it was some sort of rosey beigey with a grey straight cord on the talk into thingie, real ugly.  It smelled funny too, like some sort of bad cheese."

bwanna

bill, thx for the info. i did look at paul f's site briefly. i'll pop the cover off that set this weekend& we'll find out for sure what she is.  SOMETIMES i like to use CAPS for emphasis. :P

mcheath, you are a good poker player, aren't you?
donna

McHeath

Quotemcheath, you are a good poker player, aren't you?

Believe it or not but I don't recall ever playing.  I am good at making up stuff, too bad I can't make a living off it.   :)

bwanna

key phone, is this something somebody just put together?  as you can see, there are blanks where the buttons should be. bill, any info? tyvm
donna

bwanna

AE80, white, very yellowed. where would i find a date?

donna

bwanna

stromberg carlson 500. rose beige. 1965
donna