News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Think this Just Might be a Mercedes Dial

Started by RDPipes, July 11, 2022, 05:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

Quote from: HowardPgh on July 20, 2022, 01:53:14 PMIf the dial springs back like it is disengaged, it may be missing the little ratchet pawl that sits in a little recess under the number card. Its small and easily lost.

Thank you sir, I hope that's all that's wrong besides needing a good bath.
And hopefully it won't cost much for the part if it is missing.

Doug Rose

Ron...Steve is a friend and will treat you right. $6 to fix a dial plus $ for any parts and shipping back. He is the best!.....Doug

jydsk@tds.net
Kidphone

RDPipes

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 20, 2022, 04:06:06 PMRon...Steve is a friend and will treat you right. $6 to fix a dial plus $ for any parts and shipping back. He is the best!.....Doug

jydsk@tds.net

Oh! I wasn't sure, thank you Doug I just might contact him then.
Here's a couple of photos after I tore it down, cleaned it a little and found that it is missing the
ratchet pawl, too bad I can't use one out of one of my Craftsman ratchets, LOL!
The finger wheel has some battle scars and the number plate has some hair lines around the "O" and the "6", "4" and "1".
The poor thing led a rough life, hopefully I can give it the easy life from now on, I think it deserves it.

HarrySmith

Agreed. Steve is a great guy. I have sent him a bunch of dials over the years. Most times if it needs a small part he will just throw it in for free. Every dial comes back looking great & working perfectly. He also has a lot of other parts for phones.
That Mercedes dial was a great catch. It looks good after your clean up too.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

Thank you Harry! I'll probably try and get a hold of him in the next few days.

RDPipes

Just got the Mercedes dial back from Steve today and she works perfectly, very pleased.

I'm thinking of putting it on a AE 21 wall phone, does anyone know if that would be one
that AE would have used on this phone? Thank you in advance.

TelePlay

The Mercedes was a very early dial, second generation IIRC, and usually found on candlesticks.

Also, I think the AE21 dial came out in 1921 or so as a replacement for the earlier dials.

Wall phones were a few decades after that, but then, I may be wrong.

RDPipes

Quote from: TelePlay on July 27, 2022, 03:29:50 PMThe Mercedes was a very early dial, second generation IIRC, and usually found on candlesticks.

Also, I think the AE21 dial came out in 1921 or so as a replacement for the earlier dials.

Wall phones were a few decades after that, but then, I may be wrong.

Ah! I didn't think about the 4 verse 5 leads but, I thought I seen one with a Mercedes dial but, I could certainly be wrong. The AE 21 if I'm not wrong came out in 29 so it is at least 8 years newer. Okay, Thank you, I'll just keep it stashed away till I need it. Not much of a candlestick guy but, hey ya never know.

TelePlay

Quote from: RDPipes on July 27, 2022, 03:33:53 PMAh! I didn't think about the 4 verse 5 leads but, . . .

The Mercedes I put into my AE stick project had 5 leads and I used a 101A coil to convert the subset to anti-side tone

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16425.msg174403#msg174403

FABphones

Quote from: RDPipes on July 27, 2022, 02:59:22 PMJust got the Mercedes dial back...

That was quick. Great news. You did well spotting that.

Next you will be looking for a stick to put it on.  :)

Could you add an image of front and rear now it is returned to its former glory?

Thanks.

Quote from: TelePlay on July 27, 2022, 04:45:14 PMThe Mercedes I put into my AE stick project...

A handsome stick, a Mercedes dial sits well on it.
Do you still have it in your collection?
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

Well to be completely honest it doesn't look any different now then it did when I sent it to him.
The ratchet pawl was missing and he replaced it and I reckon he timed it. I'm really happy it still looks the same even with it's hairlines. Its how I found it and it shows how its lived and continues to live, it's history shall we say. I think I might doll up it finger wheel a bit with new paint and all but, thats it.
And personally I've really never been into sticks much, I had one WE years ago and that was it. I reckon I look more for esthetic styling and out of the ordinary then I do anything else when it comes to telephones. The switching and technical aspects that many enjoy is just plain boring to me. And AE phones interest me more because of there styling, I mean WE is Okay but, I think their styling got a bit boring early on except for the 302. Sadly not much at all is very appealing to me after the forties. The WE 500 and AE 80's just aint my cup o tea and after them it just seems to get worse. So I'll probably just hang on to the dial because I don't have one and when an age appropriate phone comes along that I like I'll be able to utilize it.