"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction (59 Cancelled: ListingTerminated) - AE Strowger Candlestick

Started by HarrySmith, December 02, 2010, 01:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: NorthernMan on December 05, 2010, 11:35:32 PM
The other strowger stick went for $2625 ...... the plating on it was not in good shape , well worn all over . It had more original parts than the one in the contest though.
       Does any know what a complete renickel job would cost on one of these ....... and would it increase or decrease the value ?

Thanks for the report NorthernMan. No idea what a re-nickle job would cost but someone on here will know.

My thoughs are that unless the re-nickle job was over close to perfect nickle, it probably increase the value. I think there are enough people who would go for a perfect like new Strowger stick over those that would devalue it for being too perfect. Just my thoughts though.

Terry

AE_Collector

Okay, now what happened? Auction ended (or was it ended early?) without meeting reserve and shows the starting price at $99.

This is the second Auction that has done a crash and burn (previous one was the blue AE 50). Co-incidentally it is the second auction that I have participated in....

Terry

Edit: Looks like the seller cancelled all the bids and packed up his Strowger and went home.

Bidder t***u  Cancelled: US $1,300.99
Explanation: The seller ended the listing early and cancelled all bids. Bid: Dec-02-10 06:21:23 PST
Cancelled: Dec-06-10 15:13:29 PST
Bidder t***t  Cancelled: US $999.99
Explanation: The seller ended the listing early and cancelled all bids. Bid: Dec-02-10 05:17:46 PST
Bidder o***l  Cancelled: US $300.00
Explanation: The seller ended the listing early and cancelled all bids. Bid: Dec-02-10 03:13:57 PST
Cancelled: Dec-06-10 15:13:30 PST
Bidder t***a  Cancelled: US $200.50
Explanation: The seller ended the listing early and cancelled all bids. Bid: Dec-02-10 02:41:55 PST
Bidder o***r  Cancelled: US $1,494.00
Explanation: The seller ended the listing early and cancelled all bids. Bid: Dec-04-10 04:15:43 PST
Bidder v***e  Cancelled: US $730.00
Explanation: The seller ended the listing early and cancelled all bids. Bid: Dec-02-10 02:29:23 PST
Bidder s***s  Cancelled: US $99.00
Explanation: The seller ended the listing early and cancelled all bids. Bid: Dec-01-10 20:26:33 PST
Bidder l***d  Cancelled: US $1,444.00
Explanation: The seller ended the listing early and cancelled all bids. Bid: Dec-02-10 10:16:34 PST
Bidder l***l  Cancelled: US $1,500.00
Explanation: Do not ship internationally and buyer has 0 rating Bid: Dec-02-10 21:39:35 PST
Cancelled: Dec-06-10 07:36:15 PST

NorthernMan

I am sure the auction ended early and i don't remember it having a reserve.
This is the second time time i  have entered this contest and its the second time its been cancelled. Jinx or what. I am sure i would have won both . ;D ;)

HarrySmith

darn! I really wanted to see where that would go! Must have gotten an offer he could not refuse!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Quote from: HarrySmith on December 07, 2010, 10:40:26 AM
darn! I really wanted to see where that would go! Must have gotten an offer he could not refuse!
Agreed. Being a seller, it is hard to walk away from a great offer. In the past, I walked away from offers and the offeree (is that a word?) ended up getting the item through eBay a a significantly lower price. I have heard people (who do not sell) say, never end an auction early; but it truly a tough decision. Deal or no deal!! Bird in hand or greed. As a watcher only, I would have liked to see this go to the end. I understand the seller's decision....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Yea, I understand also. I have been in the same boat as a seller and after talking it over with my wife we have decided to not end the auctions early and we did not get as much! Greed or doing the right thing? Tough call ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Quote from: HarrySmith on December 07, 2010, 11:06:55 AM
Yea, I understand also. I have been in the same boat as a seller and after talking it over with my wife we have decided to not end the auctions early and we did not get as much! Greed or doing the right thing? Tough call ;D
Harry...I never  looked at it as doing the wrong thing, or the right thing. My item, my call. I liked the offer, we talked about it (Janet and me) and we took it. eBay frowns on this, but it's not their item.

Also, with eBay...what's up with sellers no longer getting a prospective buyers email address with a question on our email site. Its an eBay email address now.

Doug
Kidphone

Wallphone

Doug, When you ask the seller a question there is a box you can mark to hide your email address from the seller. Why anyone would do this and expect to get an answer isn't clear. This might be an option that would benefit "Mr. Helpful" or someone that didn't have something nice to say. Anyway, that's how it was the last time I asked the seller a question. Maybe eBay has done another one of their improvements on it to stop some of the side-deals.
Hold the presses, I just checked this feature and that option is GONE. The only option now is whether you want to send the email to your own email address too. It must be to stop the side deals. It seems to me that the seller of the latest contest auction received an offer he couldn't refuse. I wonder if by canceling the auction he got out of paying the "Final Value Fee. I'm sure that eBay would frown on that. Sorry about the "ramble". I spent so much time typing the first half of this posting that I just couldn't see it going to waste. ;D
The other Doug

HarrySmith

True, it is our stuff but when we signed up for eBay we agreed to thier rules. It is also to be fair to all buyers, give everyone a chance!
Yes, I noticed that also. I get the email from PayPal instead ;)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Quote from: Wallphone on December 07, 2010, 12:01:41 PM
Doug, When you ask the seller a question there is a box you can mark to hide your email address from the seller. Why anyone would do this and expect to get an answer isn't clear. This might be an option that would benefit "Mr. Helpful" or someone that didn't have something nice to say. Anyway, that's how it was the last time I asked the seller a question. Maybe eBay has done another one of their improvements on it to stop some of the side-deals.
Hold the presses, I just checked this feature and that option is GONE. The only option now is whether you want to send the email to your own email address too. It must be to stop the side deals. It seems to me that the seller of the latest contest auction received an offer he couldn't refuse. I wonder if by canceling the auction he got out of paying the "Final Value Fee. I'm sure that eBay would frown on that. Sorry about the "ramble". I spent so much time typing the first half of this posting that I just couldn't see it going to waste. ;D
The Other Doug
I thought I was the "Other Doug??" Thanks for the confirmation, just another way Big Brother keeps us on our toes. eBay is definitely a love/hate relationship......former other Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Doug(S):

I noticed awhile back that there no longer seems to be a way to email dirrectly with one another now. Used to be that if you pushed the "big yellow button" it went through ebaY but if you just hit reply when you had received a question through ebay, more often than not it would respond directly to the person. That seems to be history now. I frequently include my direct email address in my "question" to a seller leaving him the opportunity to reply directly or not. Only problem is my email address might get posted if he decides to post the question on his listing.

Terry

HarrySmith

Another way to get the sellers email is to ask him to send you pictures. Since you cannot attach pictures through eBay he has to send from his prsonal account ;)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Wallphone

Harry, I guess the next question is how do they know where to send the pictures to? If you include your email address in the question then (like Terry said) you take the chance that your email address will be broadcast if the seller posts the question.
One of the Doug's

NorthernMan

A friend of mine asked the seller why it was ended ... this is the reply.

Hello, thank you for asking nicely. I sell for others on ebay and after having been out of town this weekend, the owner of the phone said to take it off. He either traded or kept. I'm apologizing to all those who had their eye on it. Thanks, Nancy
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

I think i now have Ebay figured out ..... you put your item out there to be advertized thruout the entire world then stop the auction and sell to someone who has emailed you . You save the almost %20 fees of Ebay and PayPal. Of course you have to know the value of your item.

HarrySmith

Yeah, Doug that is true. But when I send my email I ask not to post the question. So far that request has been honored.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"