"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A1 with Original Pre E1 D80370

Started by Doug Rose, November 08, 2013, 08:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

It looks like a 3.  An A-3?

I forget where I saw the 25 known to exist figure, but I don't think it was meant to refer to the number produced, just the number in collections.  It was probably left over from the days before eBay.  While still uncommon, I would not say that they are rare, or experimental, which I have also heard.  I think they just had a very limited run.  My point is that A-1s are a lot more common than people used to think, and the lower prices are a reflection of that.  Look at what happened to B-1 prices.  I don't expect to see A-1s for $100 anytime soon, but I would not invest in them either, since more and more keep coming out of the woodwork.  
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

tallguy58

And then there's the rediculous:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200947289090
Cheers........Bill

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

AE_Collector

I thought it looked like an A3 converted to A1.

And call me an AE person but I can't see any difference in the "rare" non E1 handset on the subject of this topic and other A1 sets with E1's pictures above. What am I missing?

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: tallguy58 on November 09, 2013, 08:23:45 PM
And then there's the rediculous:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200947289090

Item condition:Used  (For that price it should be NEW!)   :)

Price:US $2,495.00
+$73.65 shipping

Phonesrfun

Quote from: AE_Collector on November 09, 2013, 09:03:58 PM
I thought it was an A3 converted to A1.

ANd call me an AE person but I can't see any difference in the "rare" non E1 handset on the subject of this topic and other A1 sets with E1's pictures above. What am I missing?

Terry

I do believe the only difference is the lack of the designation of E1, as opposed to the "D" number, which I think was for items that were still in the design stages.  This one is obviously very, very close to the production version.  Larry Wolff's book has an example of an even earlier prototype of the E1 which is similar to the E1 but has noticeable differences.

The thing that confuses me is that the A1, itself has  D number, but it went into limited production.  No, it is NOT extremely rare.  I have one, and I have probably seen 6 or 7 others "in the flesh".
-Bill G

poplar1

Some early handsets did not have the condenser inside the handset--D80370 but possibly also early E1s.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

The D80370 has a D-85175 transmitter. Unlike the 395B transmitter, there is no condenser. This transmitter has a date stamp May 1927.

The receiver also has a D- number rather than 557B.

Pictures are from the same phone pictured in the original post here. The seller said he got the phone over 40 years ago, when he was 15, as a gift from an old man who had moved from New Jersey to Florida.  
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

ESalter

I actually have most of one of those handsets!  I went looking today and found it.   Mine has a newer transmitter, but the handle and receiver both appear to be original.  The inside of the receiver has the D number stamped into the metal it but has "557" stamped over it in orange ink.  The handle is marked the same way as the one in the auction, but it doesn't have the D number.  I can see some wavyness where the number would have been, like it was filled in on the mold.  Then over the top of that spot it has "E1" crudly engraved, looks like it was done by hand.  My guess is early production of E1s where they were "converting" the existing stock of D numbered handsets to standard markings?   

I'll take and post a couple photos of it later.

---Eric

ESalter

FINALLY got around to taking those pictures.  Here is the handle marking and both ends of the receiver.  You can't see it in the photo, but underneath the E1 engraving, there is definitely wavyness from where the handset mold was modified to remove the D number.

---Eric