News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Really Different WE Universal Dial Plate

Started by Doug Rose, February 26, 2015, 06:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I saw this on eBay last week and had to have it. I've been collecting along time and never seen a plate like this. All numbers are red, BUT the 6, 7 and 8 are black. I have seen Northern plates with black letters and numbers, but never a mix like this. Paid a little more than I usually do for porcelain plates, but this was a keeper. Any ideas....Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161603747807
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

It looks like the '7' has red underneath the black!  ???
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on February 26, 2015, 06:49:18 PM
It looks like the '7' has red underneath the black!  ???

Well, absorptive black includes all colors so should the porcelain black mix not have been quite right or complete, a slight lack of a pigment in that section of the black could be reflecting visible spectral red wavelengths making it seem that there is red underneath when in fact, the red is just an incomplete mixture of pigments to get 100% absorptive black. Conversely, white contains pigments which reflect all light. Black contains pigments that absorb all light. Just my theory. Will leave it up to Doug and his high powered microscope to determine what's causing what seems to be red in that part of the 7.

andre_janew

Let me know when you find a universal plate with a Z on it.  They're not supposed to exist, but after seeing this one, maybe a few might exist.

Doug Rose

I never noticed any red under the 7 until Christian mentioned it, there is. The 6 and the 8 look completely black, the 7 appears to be restamped black over a red 7. That being said, anyone have any info why these are black and not red.
Kidphone

baldopeacock

pure speculation, of course, but maybe the following's as good a guess as any?    Maybe those numbers didn't stamp, or stamped thin, in the original pass through the machine.   It got flagged in QC inspection, went through for correction and was stamped black by mistake.   That's my story, anyway.

WEBellSystemChristian

Come to think of it, the '0' also looks like a little red is coming off.

It could be that this was an NE plate was sent into a WE refurbishment shop, and the numbers were somehow coated red. That coating could have come off with wear, if the user put more pressure when their finger came to the 6, 7, and 8.

Andre, I have a universal Z plate. I didn't think they were rare or unusual.
Christian Petterson

poplar1

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on February 27, 2015, 09:47:13 AM

What is the date on this 164A with a Z?
I have seen Zs on both 150B and P-340016 (black dot) number plates as late as II 53. The Z went away on these in III 53. Earliest 164A I've found is I 54, and it doesn't have a Z.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: poplar1 on February 27, 2015, 10:09:57 AM

What is the date on this 164A with a Z?
I have seen Zs on both 150B and P-340016 (black dot) number plates as late as II 53. The Z went away on these in III 53. Earliest 164A I've found is I 54, and it doesn't have a Z.
I'll check when I get home. I remember it was attached to a #6 that was on an operator-type mounting bracket.
Christian Petterson

unbeldi

Without a picture I shall not believe it.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: unbeldi on February 27, 2015, 11:27:53 AM
Without a picture I shall not believe it.
Okaaay...

It's possible that it could have been a strict #6 plate, but I would have remembered something like that. I was even contemplating putting it on a 302 with a #5 that had a later plate on it.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Turns out it was a strict 6-type plate. I could have sworn it was a universal!
Christian Petterson

Doug Rose

I was just curious if anyone knew what this was. Talk about a topic highjack.   :-\  There was never ever a universal with a Z, only a #6 dial plate for a short time.

Not what I was asking.

I was just curious if anyone might have seen anything like this. I never had and I've been to the rodeo a few times. Yes there is red showing, it is black and if you saw it, you would think its black. I rarely pick a phone up to bump my nose on it. But, them again it is a big beak on me face  8)

Only way I would have noticed is through young Christain's eagle eyes and I did look this over. A lot. This looks unused. Looks like NOS. No wear or a color is showing through from wear.

baldopeacock...I like your story that you are sticking to, best guess I can could come  up with.

Sorry for the rant

Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Sorry for the hijack! :-[

That plate of yours is really interesting! I wish I knew the full story on a lot of my phones and parts, like whether they were factory, refurb shop, or home brews, how they were modified/made, etc.

I'm sure this one has an interesting story!
Christian Petterson

Doug Rose

Christian....you commented on it and DID NOT Highjack it. Your observation was absolutely correct. You were spot on with your opinion...Doug
Kidphone