News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SA 14: WE 1950 Red 305G Special Contest - Ended 11-20-15

Started by TelePlay, November 15, 2015, 04:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Another special auction contest just for the fun of it is a very nice 1950 Red WE 305G. It was listed in a 5 day auction at $99.99 with a Reserve and a $1,200 BIN which I don't think is going to be taken by a buyer. However, if anyone wants to guess $1,200.00, that is an available guess in this special auction contest. Within the first hour of being listed, one bid was placed but the BIN still stands.

I'm sure their is an upside to the current bid but will it exceed the reserve? It may not sell but this auction will place a market value on the phone. This contest is being set up to document this phone and its current market value for posterity. With that said, once again, who best knows what this phone will sell for when the auction ends. If the reserve is not met, the highest bid will be considered the current market value and the closest guesser to that value will be declared the winner.

Absolutely any and all members are very welcome and strongly encouraged to take a guess. After all, there are no wrong guesses, just one lucky one. No one knows the winning bid on any auction until it ends. However, it is important to get your guess in before someone else grabs your guess.

The seller listed it as a "RARE WESTERN ELECTRIC RED THERMOPLASTIC 305 TELEPHONE NEAR MINT CONDITION WOW!!" with the item condition as "Used" and "Extremely clean Western Electric RED 305 telephone in EXCELLENT condition. NO cracks or chips in plastic parts, looks almost NOS. There are a few small ink stains in original mounting cord, but otherwise this phone is just about perfect." with the auction listing description as "Up for bid is a very rare WESTERN ELECTRIC 305 telephone in RED thermoplastic.  The 305 telephone is a variation of a 302 set that is fitted with an ON-OFF switch controlling the ringer function.  These 305 telephones are commonly found made of black bakelite and are only rarely found in colored thermoplastic.  This particular phone is in excellent original condition and looks almost like new.  There are NO cracks or chips in the plastic, and all the plastic parts are un-faded and still have a high luster.  Neither the hookswitch cradle nor the handset show much wear.  The dial turns and returns normally, and it still retains it's original number card.  The cords are in excellent, unfrayed condition, however there are a few small ink spots on the original mounting cord.  Inside, the phone is very clean, and all of the components have 1950 dates.  The receiver and transmitter elements are both dated 6-53.  It's hard to believe that this phone is over 60 years old.  I really cannot emphasize enough how near-mint this telephone is.  It would certainly be a centerpiece in anyone's collection.  Don't miss out on your opportunity to bid on this outstanding  RED thermoplastic 305 telephone.  It's not likely that you will ever see a nicer example.  THIS PHONE HAS NOT BEEN TESTED, AND ACTUAL WORKING CONDITION IS UNKNOWN."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231754238738

Since this is a "special rules" no winner contest, the best guesser will not be included in the CRPF Auction Contest Hall of Fame or be counted in the CRPF Contest Standings as a win. This one is just for fun. However, the winner will take a place in the Special Auction Contest Standings.

As with the other special auctions, just take a guess and I'll run the list of guesses to document this eBay auction item for posterity.

All I ask is that guesses be at least $10 dollars apart, one guess per player (can't revise a guess) and no guesses will be accepted with less than 12 hours to go in the auction -- special rules for a special contest . . .
  ;)

S C O R E B O A R D

$   425.00 - TelePlay  ( 13 )
$   460.00 - andre_janew  ( 6 )
$   480.00 - DiaLen  ( 1 )
$   495.00 - Partyline4  ( 12 )
$   510.00 - Fabius  ( 3 )
$   525.00 - Russ Kirk  ( 2 )
$   545.00 - Sargeguy  ( 10 )
$   555.00 - Autonut  ( 4 )
$   575.00 - wds  ( 9 )
$   620.00 - tallguy58  ( 5 )  -> WINNER - Final Selling Price $612.85      ( reserve not met )
$   650.00 - compubit  ( 7 )
$   850.00 - HarrySmith  ( 8 )
$   940.00 - WEBellSystemChristian  ( 11 )

Auction Status

11-15-15      Listed      $      99.99
11-16-15      3 bids      $    330.00
11-17-15      3 bids      $    330.00
11-18-15      4 bids      $    335.00
11-19-15      4 bids      $    335.00
11-20-15      4 bids      $    335.00
11-20-15      5 bidders, 6 bids $612.85 Ended at 12:18:10 PST    ( reserve not met )

DiaLen

Be faithful to the commitments of your life.

unbeldi

This set has an interesting history.
I think it was a black plastic set with a Bakelite handset before refurbishing.  It received new red plastics and a new dial probably sometime in 1953 or 1954.  But the technician didn't use the correct switch hook assembly.

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

unbeldi

The seller told me that the housing is marked H1 with a circle and a three-bars symbol.  This confirms my evaluation. The telephone company simply drilled out the key position in a 302 housing, attached the key designation plate, and put it on a 305 base transferring the hookswitch assembly, rather than installing the correct one. The original 302 had a red-stripe ringer which was not present on the 305, another mismatch.

Perhaps it wasn't even the telephone company, but the previous owner, 30 years ago.

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

compubit

A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

HarrySmith

$850.00

This is being sold by a long time collector and member of the ATCA. Very Rare and in excellent condition!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Babybearjs

interesting auction..... sounds like the seller doesn't want to part with his treasure.....
John

unbeldi

Quote from: Babybearjs on November 17, 2015, 09:13:48 PM
interesting auction..... sounds like the seller doesn't want to part with his treasure.....
Well, he's had it for a long time, and it does look nice despite its dubious history,  but eventually we all have to let them go.

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409