and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bwanna, Check This Out....

Started by Dan/Panther, January 22, 2010, 04:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

You have got to bid on this...
D/P
http://tinyurl.com/yc3mr5o ( dead link 03-29-22 )

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Dan

Her posts read brunette to me.....just a guess...
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

An all American girl.......made in Hong Kong.  The butt-set is in the wrong place. :)

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

With my 1st doll I was told that:

There were a series of 4 dolls, each depicting a different era of women within the bell system,

Among the 4 eras were 4 different dolls, a blonde, brunette, and redhead, and a black woman. I have never seen the redhead.

The first 3 dolls came in all 4 outfits. The last doll came in the latest operator and installer outfit.

A total of 14 variations.

The purpose of these pioneer dolls was to help adjust the workforce notion regarding women and minorities in the telephone industry.

A lot of Bell guys retired early instead of embracing these concepts.

Bwana, You should select the Installer doll that you most identify with , and get one for your collection. JMO

Jim S.
I was raised w/o prejudice (Folks is Folks). For siblings I had 3 sisters.  It took me awhile to understand about glass ceilings.

BTW I currently have 4 daughters ages 9-15.  I am in favor of equal pay for equal work, and no harassment. This is the 21st century after all.

Bawana Don't take Sh*t from the chauvinists.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan

I heard the early dolls were made of soft tenite plasric, with six toes on the the left foot. Later dolls hard hard plastic and five toes.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

bwanna

i don't have to troll ebay at all, you guys find all the cool stuff for me ;D  i'll give you the low down when she gets here :)

thx for the info jim...given my penchant for collecting, i may have to at least get one doll from each era.

i don't get much chauvinistic crap, some customers are surprised to see a woman show up to fix the line.

my butt set is usually hooked to my meter & hanging over my shoulder.....is that what you meant about being in the wrong place, dennis ???

btw..i am a (true) blond ....well...blond that would be gray w/o my hairdresser :o

thanks d/p for fueling the addiction ;)
donna

Dennis Markham

I figured a butt-set is called a butt-set because they hung on the back of the belt and bounce off the butt while the person that has the butt-set is walking.

bwanna

some say they are called butt sets cuz they can be used to "butt in" on the line. :)
donna

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan on January 22, 2010, 09:49:21 PM
I heard the early dolls were made of soft tenite plasric, with six toes on the the left foot. Later dolls hard hard plastic and five toes.
Dan,
Methinks, you feel I am full of Sh*t. Sometimes I am, But not on this.

My source  was  from a WE Manager. His final project was running the 1984 Olympic phone system He was a WE guy. He was a notable collector back in the day. He got out of the hobby in the earfy 80's, I bought him out in the early 90's.

He told me a lot of stories regarding the old days. One of the items I bought was a large brass '69 Emblem and Western Electric in bras. This is now on the JKL Musuemn.

Equal opportunity was a very hot topic back in the day.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 22, 2010, 11:11:15 PM
I figured a butt-set is called a butt-set because they hung on the back of the belt and bounce off the butt while the person that has the butt-set is walking.
Butt sets are slang for the inventor. Mr Buttinski,
I have a cut sheet for a TS21 that refers to these as buttinski's. The term's Butt in, Butt out ect actually came from the telephone vernacular.  The telephone industry employeed many people, their slang permeates our culture.

Some installers refered to butt sets as Goat's to be more PC.
Jim S.

It is a Buttinski, either call it that or at least call it a butt set. be proud of the heritage.
You live, You learn,

bingster

Quote from: Jim S. on January 23, 2010, 01:05:15 AM
Dan,

This was a joke based on the receiver caps and plastic of the 500 model.  It had nothing to do with the information you supplied.
= DARRIN =

bwanna

Quote from: bingster on January 23, 2010, 01:38:42 AM
Quote from: Jim S. on January 23, 2010, 01:05:15 AM
Dan,

This was a joke based on the receiver caps and plastic of the 500 model.  It had nothing to do with the information you supplied.

OH haha,  naturally i got the reference to soft/hard plastic....but i thot the comment about the toes was odd. i get it now...lmao :D
donna

Dennis Markham

Jim, is there a BSP reference to Mr. Buttinski? :)

Donna, I'll go with your definition.............here's what Dictionary.com says about the Buttinski.....

Slang Dictionary
buttinsky [bəˈtɪnski]

and buttinski

1. n.
      someone who interrupts; someone who gets involved in other people's business. : I hate to be a buttinski, but what are you talking about?

Google has reference to a Mr. Buttinski but his first name is unknown.  He was alive in the late 16th Century.

So I guess it's OK for the doll to have her butt-set hanging in an area other than her butt.