News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Packing success!

Started by Greg G., November 05, 2018, 12:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I just got word from forum member Fabphones that the phones I shipped to her in the UK arrived intact after travelling over 9000 miles!  Brilliant!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

FABphones

And this is why they survived the journey so well:

1st photo taken by Greg prior to shipping
2nd - same view of box after arrival -  9000+ miles later
3rd photo showing inner of box with one of the two interior packing boxes removed
4th - inside the interior boxes.

All boxes were packed incredibly well. Credit to the shippers too, not a mark or dent on the exterior box. To make this journey they have been on planes, trains, automobiles and boats.

5* packing (and some!).

Fabulous. Very pleased with the new additions. Thank you.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

The boxes are lovely, but how about some photos of the phones!
;D

FABphones

Quote from: tubaman on November 05, 2018, 03:52:24 AM
The boxes are lovely, but how about some photos of the phones!
;D

Heehee...  ;D
Here they are after unpacking. :)

tubaman

Love that Ivory (beige?) Fatboy - where did you find that?
:)

FABphones

Quote from: tubaman on November 05, 2018, 08:03:00 AM

Beige, beige? I don't collect beige - that's not beige, it's sepia tinted ivory.  ;)

Seriously though, I bought that one with a view to removing the paint, but it's so nice in real life I have a dilemma. I already have a beige 500 that sticks out like a sore thumb on my shelves (everyone says its salmon pink - argh!). Do I now add beige to my collection after having that Navy Beige AE 50 (which found a great home), under my 'buy it now' button for a whole 15 minutes (then deciding 'nah')?

I've only just added shinies, I need to rein in.....  ;D

*Can anyone tell me, were fatboys factory painted or is this a nicely done home paintjob?
That may help me decide a little.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: FABphones on November 05, 2018, 09:46:36 AM
Beige, beige? I don't collect beige - that's not beige, it's sepia tinted ivory.  ;)

*Can anyone tell me, were fatboys factory painted or is this a nicely done home paintjob?
That may help me decide a little.

The painted fatboys were painted by telephone rebuilders. They did create Factory colored fatboys. They are made from colored plastic.  Offhand they  Made Ivory, Orchid, Japan (pekin )red, green and a couple of other colors.  They also made clear examples for salesman to use in their offices.
The TCI library has a document with factory colors. I found it while looking for SC 1197, SC 1198, SC 1212 colors. 
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

tubaman

Quote from: FABphones on November 05, 2018, 09:46:36 AM

LOL  ;D
I'm sure it's ivory really and the beige look is just a trick of the light!

Why only collect certain colours anyway - I just collect phones that I like, and for some I can't really explain why I like them, I just do.

Greg G.

The boxes I used to ship these phones are not main stream shipping boxes.  I've stored most of my phones in boxes that used to contain shelf-stable dietary meals made by HMR (Health Maintenance Resources).  They used to have a weight loss program near me and I would fish out the boxes from the dumpster.  They were the perfect size to fit two 500-size phones with room for a bit of padding for storage purposes.  But in this case, they weren't exactly 500-size, so I only put one to a box to leave plenty of room for some padding.  Then I put those in a produce box, the type grocery stores use, that I got from a local collector.  The fit was perfect!  It was a durable box that left enough room on all sides of the inner boxes for more padding.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: tubaman on November 05, 2018, 08:03:00 AM

She bought it from me, it was listed in my phone purge sale.  I originally bought it online at Proxibid.  Here's the thread:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13163.msg138339#msg138339
- Mike Row
e

Pourme

Two very nice phones.....I'm a big fat boy fan, I love that painted one!...If it's as nice close up as it is in the picture, I'd leave it as is!...beautiful!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

FABphones

Quote from: tubaman on November 05, 2018, 12:12:42 PM
...Why only collect certain colours anyway - I just collect phones that I like, and for some I can't really explain why I like them, I just do.

I like coloured phones in other collections, but they just don't 'do' it for mine.
I struggle every time I look at my lonesome beige 500 (bought because it was sold as, and looked, ivory in the sellers photos). Nice phone but it stands out. It needs to go ... or have company... Which leads me nicely on to my next thought....

Quote from: Pourme on November 05, 2018, 01:49:04 PM
Two very nice phones.....I'm a big fat boy fan, I love that painted one!...If it's as nice close up as it is in the picture, I'd leave it as is!...beautiful!

Ok, I will leave it as is, at least for the moment. I'm thinking it might sit nicely next to the lonesome 500 mentioned above. Both S.C. They can chat about 'home'.   ;D

oldguy

When you get more colored phones they won't stand out :) :)
Gary