News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kuhfuss or Pferdefuss - odd Bavarian / German phone

Started by countryman, September 12, 2020, 01:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryman

It's rare and the seller's pics are not too bad, so I thought I might add this oddity for completion.
This phone  called SA25 was officially used in relatively small numbers in Bavaria in the late 1920ies. It quickly caught the nickname Kuhfuss or Pferdefuss (Cow's foot or horse's foot) for an obvious reason. This one is in nice condition and has an originally looking handset although it is stamped FR (Friedrich Reiner), while the body is stamped MT (Merk Telefonbau). The dial is also a Merk and was discussed here recently.

eBay Link
Note: Not my auction.

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Doug Rose

How much is the phone selling for on eBay in US$... thanks....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 14, 2020, 04:30:52 PM
How much is the phone selling for on eBay in US$... thanks....Doug

If you look directly at the listing, eBay will read your viewing location and should auto calculate the exchange rate and show it underneath the Euro listing price.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Jack Ryan

Quote from: FABphones on September 14, 2020, 04:38:17 PM
If you look directly at the listing, eBay will read your viewing location and should auto calculate the exchange rate and show it underneath the Euro listing price.

It only does that if you view the item from your local eBay. If you look on the German site you only see euros. At least, that's what happens here.

it is about $US 475.00

It is nice but expensive - perhaps values are going up. The A Handset Mounting (not a complete telephone) is at least double that and is probably twice as common (based on eBay sales). But then, the A Handset Mounting was made by WE. Just adding some perspective.

Jack

countryman

It will be interesting to watch how it sells (or probably not sells at the asked price).
The auction ended with 0 bids, the seller now offers it for 400 € BIN :
https://www.ebay.de/itm/124336611460
It seems very tough to sell phones above 100€ / 115 $ US in Europe. Most interested persons look at objects for restoration activities, and there are still offered plenty of them.
I dare to assume that people who have 400 € to spend on showcase items do not often collect rotary phones here.

Jack Ryan

A telephone from the first exchange at Hildesheim might just get over 400 EUR  ;)

If you have one for less, please let me know.

Regards
Jack

countryman

tubaman

Quote from: countryman on May 07, 2022, 05:36:30 PMHere's another one coming up for sale:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/334432834787

Gorgeous phones, and I'd love one but can't justify the price unfortunately. :(

oldguy

Gary

Etienne

Really nice phones, as far as I know, these were made exclusively by Merk. I have one (well, only the base) in CB version. Minimalism & miniaturism of the 20's!