News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What the heck is this?

Started by Key2871, December 20, 2020, 08:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

I was cruising eBay and came across this under telephone tester. To me it looks like a couple pieces of 1/4 galvi pipe with a coupler, and a western receiver, like a 122? In a home made wooden box

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Telephone-Lineman-Line-Tester-Tool-With-Carrying-Case-Phone/143864621945
KEN

tubaman

If was a solid rod I'd say it was a homemade version of one of these - http://vernonmorris.co.uk/shop/category/leak-detection/listening-sticks - but it's hollow so I'm not so sure.
:-\

FABphones

Possibly:

Exchanges had racks of Air Gauges which constantly measured air pressure (for keeping water out of underground cables). If pressure dropped one of these could have been used to 'follow' the cable route overground and listen for the leak prior to digging.

(More usually headphones were used, but could be a variation on that).

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

First, thanks to who posted the pictures.

And I've known of air pressure to keep moisture out of cables, but never thought about this to be used for listening for leaks.

That's polusable, but it looks so home made.
Especially the storage box.
I thought they would have used something differant for checking leaks.
But very interesting, I would have not thought of that.
Thanks!
KEN

FABphones

Quote from: Key2871 on December 21, 2020, 06:26:25 AM
...I thought they would have used something differant for checking leaks...

The original bit of kit was earphones with a 'wand'. Can't find any photos but will add if I do.

ETA - video clip of listening stick in use (water leaks):
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5X5ru8TBtlQ

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

Here in the UK you will still see the water company technicians using a Listening Stick to trace the source of a leak. It might seem primitive but is actually a very effective way of doing it.
:)

Key2871

Yes for water leaks it's the same deal, headphones and a super sensitive listening divice to hear water leaks.

But never saw a telephone crew use on of those before.
KEN

HarrySmith

Pretty cool. IIRC, There is a thread here somewhere from a few years back with one like this, had a shorter "stick".
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

They still use "listening sticks" with the most often used today being the stethoscope, a hollow tube listening device.

Key2871

I live in a private community and we have our own water system, in the past we've had leaks and the guys who take care of the system have used a peice of equipment that looks like a wand with a over size thing resembling a head phone piece connected to an amplifier and then wears head phones to try and block outside noise.

Thing is if anyone is walking near by it picks that up and drowns out the rushing sound of a water leak.
Same with cars on the main road..
But they have found a couple doing it that way.
I've found one in the spring by watching run off in a drive way, or a lawn.

I just thought it was something home made from the looks of it to me.
I've seen telephone workers use higher tech equipment that that to find issues. But underground cables aren't used much in my area, they were in the town I used to live. There were telephone manhole and the guys did their work underground and what they used wasn't seen.
KEN