News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Vintage LME Buffalo NY Hanging Handset

Started by Doug Rose, March 18, 2021, 08:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

"This is an antique wall mounted extension phone manufactured by L.M. Ericsson in Buffalo NY circa 1907.  It includes the handset, the wall mounted box, green cloth cord and an extension cord.  This set can be a perfect addition to a serious telephone collection."

I picked this up on FB for $20 and $9 shipping The Bakelite handle is cracked and tied with string.

The cords alone are worth the asking price. Not sure how to attack the cracked handle, I will work on it this weekend....Doug
Kidphone

RB

Hi Doug.
I used jb weld on a handset last weekend.
if you tape it off with blue tape, a little sanding leaves only the grey crack left over.
not bad...maybe a little black ink to cover???

Doug Rose

Some people call on Phones.....Phones call on me. It was a weekend project that became today as this Phone kept calling me.

Good news:

The nickel is Pristine way to shiny to get good pics.

MP is perfect, Bakelite is so thin I don't know how it survived

Cords are in amazing condition

Junction box with hookswitch is in wonderful condition.

IT WORKS!!

Bad news:

Bakelite handle is shattered on one end and has cracks running through it.

Black Electric tape until I find a Bakelite shaft. From a couple of feet looks perfect....but I know, Can't lie to yourself....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Thanks to the more than generous gift from Scott K, the handset has been repaired.

I was more than a Tad nervous doing this, as there was no turning back once the shattered handle was removed.

It was fairly straight forward, but well out of my comfort zone.

The only difference on the handle is the original had three holes to secure, the one from Scott had four, so there is a dummy screw for looks only.

Difference is night and day. Many thanks Scott.....Doug
Kidphone