News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recovery: Real Nice SC 1178

Started by Doug Rose, March 25, 2021, 02:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Found this on eBay for $25 plus $15 shipping. The hard to find Bakelite handset is worth the $40 it cost me.

Very Similar to a WE A1

Cleaned up wonderfully. Now where is that North Dial I have been saving!!....Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Telephone-Phone-Black-2-Piece-dialess-landline-parts-upcycle/363329995666?
Kidphone

RB

tubaman

Very nice! If it were me I'd probably put the original dial blank back on if it looks ok.
Those handsets are really hard to find as you say, especially in such nice condition.
:)

FABphones

A cute phone. I had spotted that one and came close to buying but the usual prevented it - high shipping, customs fees, import duty...

Did you keep what was left of the transfer to rear?

—-

Screenshots from auction below. For comparison, does anyone have an image of the complete transfer they could add?
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Quote from: tubaman on March 26, 2021, 03:53:59 AM
Very nice! If it were me I'd probably put the original dial blank back on if it looks ok.
Those handsets are really hard to find as you say, especially in such nice condition.
Dial Blank was what I guess was an Intercom push button. The cover itself was really rusted so it made the trash can. I put a WE dial blank until I find a dial.

I felt the phone might be beyond hope by the pics and bought it for the handset, but the phone sure did surprise me. Some of the areas that looked like corrosion came of with a Mr Clean Bar (they are great) and Brasso. Paint was also receptive to a very light fine steel wool...... Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: FABphones on March 26, 2021, 04:21:41 AM
A cute phone. I had spotted that one and came close to buying but the usual prevented it - high shipping, customs fees, import duty...

Did you keep what was left of the transfer to rear?

—-

Screenshots from auction below. For comparison, does anyone have an image of the complete transfer they could add?
CJ...I have never heard that term, I am guessing the dial blank and the apparatus is the "transfer to rear"? It is in the Pre-trash, where everything goes before a final look through to be sure.  I have all the parts....Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 26, 2021, 08:06:13 AM
  CJ...I have never heard that term, I am guessing the dial blank and the apparatus is the "transfer to rear"? It is in the Pre-trash, where everything goes before a final look through to be sure.  I have all the parts....Doug
The transfer (sticker) on the back of the stem - as per CJ's last photo.

Doug Rose

it is a Graybar Decal, Graybar used SC for many of their Intercoms. Yes, I did leave it on the stem...Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: tubaman on March 26, 2021, 10:00:33 AM
The transfer (sticker) on the back of the stem....

Thanks tubaman, got a bit lost in translation there.  :-[

Decal is a better descriptive. My error.

Does anyone have an image of this Decal? I'd like to see what it looked like complete.  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

david@london

I would also call it a 'transfer', or 'waterslide transfer'. Perhaps more often used in GB than USA......
"Decal" (1909): picture transferred from a specially prepared paper to some other surface, shortening of "decalcomania" (1864), from French décalcomanie, from décalquer (18c.) "transferring of a tracing from specially prepared paper to glass, porcelain, etc."

Doug Rose

North Dial Found!! Good hiding places are good hiding places...Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

I found an auction of a Graybar intercom with a pretty good decal here. Item # 133017949948
Picture attached.
Also I read a Wiki on the company. I did not realize Elisha Gray was the "Gray" part! I knew Western Electric had a lot to do with the company but also did not realize they owned it at one time. Interesting.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 26, 2021, 05:07:50 PM
I found an auction of a Graybar intercom with a pretty good decal here. Item # 133017949948
Picture attached.
Also I read a Wiki on the company. I did not realize Elisha Gray was the "Gray" part! I knew Western Electric had a lot to do with the company but also did not realize they owned it at one time. Interesting.
You can also find them with a WE lable
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Quote from: FABphones on March 26, 2021, 02:36:41 PM
Thanks tubaman, got a bit lost in translation there.  :-[

Decal is a better descriptive. My error.

Does anyone have an image of this Decal? I'd like to see what it looked like complete.  :)
Here is a good picture....Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Graybar-Western-Electric-Round-Base-Table-Telephone/142892345675
Kidphone