"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

BK 1045 telephone tester on eBay

Started by Jim Stettler, October 30, 2021, 09:51:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234262948697?hash=item368b28eb59:g:pp8AAOSw~89hfLIN

The BK 1045 is a nice, simple, fast phone tester. It will show digits dialed but doesn't check dial speed or make/break ratio.
New these sold for over $500.

I feel they are worth at least $100 used if you collect telephones.

Jim
They do the same test as the radio shack tester
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

I see a lot of these testers talked about and on eBay. I have been restoring Telephones for over 40 years and do not understand what i would use it for. Not being a smartass, I just don't get it.

In the beginning I had two Lines form the phone company. Now I have a Panasonic 616 as I have FIOS Digital. I have a Bench Test phone which I dial the phone I am working on. I dial from the Bench to the test phone. I get dial tone and can proclaim a telephone to work.

My 616 is worth its weight in gold. I use it in the house for Rotary phones to dial out.

What would I gain from this? Again, not trying to be a smartass...Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

They are a fast way to test, and a fun tester to play with.

You can check the cords and all functions of a modular telephones in less than a minute.
I used to have several so my kids and their friends could 'help' me test telephones when they were little.

Overall , the 1045 is fast, easy, light , portable, simple  and fun for collectors of all ages
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used mine for a quick go/no go test when I unpack boxes of telephones . I would test 10-12 phones and clean up the ones that tested good.
Then I would retest them on an automated menu system. The menu  I used would accept rotary input . star and pound was 010 and 011.
I had a ring back dialer so I could test the ringer using co ringing and 1 phone line.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The best tester is the seiscor tester. it was an approved tester for telephone rebuilders. It does actual dial testing and insulation breakdown tests on the phone itself. They used to sell for several thousand.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

FABphones

Quote from: Jim Stettler on October 30, 2021, 10:04:53 PM
...The best tester is the seiscor tester. it was an approved tester for telephone rebuilders. It does actual dial testing and insulation breakdown tests on the phone itself. They used to sell for several thousand.

Jim

I particularly like that unit, link to thread re T84 DavePEI owned:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14361

————

Screenshot of eBay 1045 listing. Currently 5 bids in, still a popular choice.  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

kleenax

Quote from: Doug Rose on October 30, 2021, 10:58:27 AM
I see a lot of these testers talked about and on eBay. I have been restoring Telephones for over 40 years and do not understand what i would use it for. Not being a smartass, I just don't get it.

In the beginning I had two Lines form the phone company. Now I have a Panasonic 616 as I have FIOS Digital. I have a Bench Test phone which I dial the phone I am working on. I dial from the Bench to the test phone. I get dial tone and can proclaim a telephone to work.

My 616 is worth its weight in gold. I use it in the house for Rotary phones to dial out.

What would I gain from this? Again, not trying to be a smartass...Doug
This is my listing for this 1045. I have several, and they are indispensable for use in testing phones. And Doug, after the initial purchase price, they are FREE to use! Only cost is electricity ;-)

It's a pain-in-the-butt to have to DIAL from another phone every-single-time you want to check a ringer to see if it works. I have a BK-1050 (the 1045's big brother) that I use daily. I have one lead with alligator clips on it, and another that is mod-mod, and can test all phones and components. As testing your dials and Touch Tone dialing, that is also accomplished with the BK-1045. It shows digits dialed, and strength of transmitter too. AND, you can test your handset cords when you just can't figure out "what" is wrong with that phone!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC