News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Beco 'butt set' #5 dial

Started by HarrySmith, May 23, 2022, 07:59:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I got this listing in my saved WE eBay search. 5H dial with a very strange plastic thing on it. I have never seen anything like it before and I do not understand the purpose of it. The seller has quite a few phones & stuff including 2 of these dial things, both from 1950.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185435114492
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

I guess I could change the title on this post because it is now mine. I decided to buy it. I was curious about the plastic thing and also I need an early 1950 dial for one of my 500's. It is brand new! This is the nicest dial I have ever seen. The plastic part is marked BECO and other than a display stand I cannot see any other purpose. He had BIN so I made an offer with his $4.99 shiping to equal $20 that was accepted.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Stan S

Harry The dial is from a Beco 'butt set'. They manufactured a butt set with a full size dial. The bulk of their business was refurbishing payphones. Many of the rebuilt payphones I sell on EBay came from what remained after they went out of business many, many years ago.

HarrySmith

Thanks Stan. Still a very nice dial. I made an offer on the other one too.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Stan S

A new old stock #5 dial is certainly worth $20. Very nice!

HarrySmith

Agreed, that's why I just bought the other one!
Same offer accepted.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

Quote from: Stan S on May 29, 2022, 09:52:56 AMHarry The dial is from a Beco 'butt set'. They manufactured a butt set with a full size dial.
Stan, was the white plastic thing part of the butt set? I do not understand what it is for.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Stan S

The plastic was a spacer that was used as part of the mounting for the dial. Those butt sets were very thick.

HarrySmith

OK. Thanks. That must have been one BIG BUTT set  :D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"