and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NOS 554 Dated 4-55

Started by magicbrain, August 22, 2022, 01:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicbrain

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394207456609

NOS554.jpg

I purchased what appears to be an NOS 554 dated 4-55, which iirc is the earliest 554 found so far?
Has a satin hook, rather than the black type & also notice lack of receiver cord mouse hole

Bruce

TelePlay

Is that mold on the housing and dial back or just light reflections?

RDPipes

I was thinking the same thing, either it was packed in cocaine or its mildew, LOL!

poplar1

The mouse hole is for the inside  wire (wire from the protector to the phone). The receiver cord comes out of the same hole where the housing release is.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: magicbrain on August 22, 2022, 01:35:24 PM...I purchased what appears to be an NOS 554 dated 4-55, which iirc is the earliest 554 found so far?

I didn't think that the 554 came out that early.  I do know that the very first 554s didn't have that mouse hole for the line cord.  I have the one my Aunt had by her back door.

poplar1

Oldest on the date range list is 6-55. 4-55 sounds reasonable.

Dennis Markham

Magicbrain, nice find on the April 1955 Model 554!  The white mold should come off with warm sudsy water.  I have soaked those parts with mold in a water/bleach mixture to kill the mold.

Here is a link to a forum topic about the oldest 554.  I think yours beats the previous record holder, which was June of '55.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1161.msg211114#msg211114

Congratulations!

~Dennis

SUnset2

The white material is not likely mold, it is probably a waxy plasticizer leaching out of the cellulose acetate butyrate.  It might be butyric acid, but I'm not sure.  Moisture will make it worse over time.  It is best to use an oily solvent such as paint thinner (not lacquer thinner, which contains acetone!!) WD-40 will work reasonably well.

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: SUnset2 on August 23, 2022, 01:41:51 AMThe white material is not likely mold, it is probably a waxy plasticizer leaching out of the cellulose acetate butyrate.  It might be butyric acid, but I'm not sure.  Moisture will make it worse over time.  It is best to use an oily solvent such as paint thinner (not lacquer thinner, which contains acetone!!) WD-40 will work reasonably well.
Didn't Ma Bell use Tenite until about 1964 for black phones?  1959 for color phones?

Mike

poplar1

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on August 23, 2022, 03:16:52 AMDidn't Ma Bell use Tenite until about 1964 for black phones?  1959 for color phones?

Mike
Tenite is made from cellulose acetate and plasticizers..

(Per  UCL Engineering)

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: poplar1 on August 23, 2022, 08:56:59 AMTenite is made from cellulose acetate and plasticizers..

(Per  UCL Engineering)
Ok, I was thinking of that plastic that deteriorates into a gooey mess.

Mike