News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Someone Better Act fast...

Started by Dan/Panther, May 09, 2010, 01:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Here a good starter harvest gold phone at a give away price.
D/P
http://tinyurl.com/28c6chn ( dead link 05-09-21 )

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan

I need a yellow one bad, but if the body is hard plastic like I know the handset is, I guess I will have to wait.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Greg G.

I don't understand the whole hard v. soft plastic thing and don't know one from the other.  I'm not even sure I can tell bakelite from plastic.  Which is more desirable as far as hard v. soft plastic, or is it just a personal preference?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

JorgeAmely

Greg:

At a distance, you can't tell the difference.

Next to it, the smell gives away what set is made of soft plastic (Tenite 2).

By touching them, you can't tell the difference.

However, when you put the handset on the cradle, the difference is obvious: the Tenite set makes a muted, subdued sound. The hard plastic set (ABS) sounds louder when both parts come into contact.

Since colored soft plastic phones were made for a shorter amount of time compared to hard plastic phones, they seem to be more difficult to find, therefore, they are "more" collectible.

However, I'll grab them in any color I can find them.  ;)

I am not sure, but I think Bakelite is denser than any plastic, soft or hard. Bakelite is also a thermoset, which means it cannot be melted into another shape, just like concrete. Tenite and ABS are thermoplastics. The plastics can be melted and reinjected into another shape.

Jorge

Bill Cahill

Actually, the soft plastic phones have two other ways to tell.
1 They are slightly lighter in weight.
2 The soft plastic shells have a softer, more smooth feel to them.
My main ivoery phone in living room has a soft shell base, but, a hard shell receiver.
Otherwise, they match. I don't think it;s a replacement. Seems to have aged the same amount.
I get a bit of a clunk out of receiver, but, as stated, the base makes a nice, quiet,thumpy t thump sound.
I like it.
My yellow phone in kitchen is all hard plastic.
Oh, by the way. There is a thrird way.
The soft plastic has some give to it, whille the hard plastic is more rigid.
Hope this helps.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dan

Last but not least--prior to June '59 coloured WE500 and 554's are soft tenite. Blacks are the wild card--they can be soft plastic up to 1965
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright