News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cherry Red 66 500

Started by Greg G., June 17, 2011, 03:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

With matching dates.  I got this over a month ago on ebay but only now got around to examining it closer and taking pictures.  All matching dates with exception of one day difference between the transmitter and receiver.  Fully functions except it doesn't ring.  I looked through all my pics of my other 500s to find one with a similar network and ringer, but I don't have one that matches.  Needs some sanding on the handset, but that should buff out fairly well.  No cracks, chips, or gouges.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

More pics.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

jsowers

Briny, put the black ringer wire on L1 with the green wire from the mounting cord and you should get the ringer working. Great closeups of your phone, too! That white area on the handset is unusual. It must be some kind of sun fade since the shadow of the switchhook is visible. Be sure to post some "after" pictures when you're through.
Jonathan

Greg G.

Thanks, that worked.  I knew it had something to do with the black wire, but couldn't remember.  This time I made a note of it.  I just hope I can remember that I made a note of it next time.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Here's the after pic.  The handset took a little more work (sanding) than I thought.  Did something different this time, no Novus.  I used Meguiar's rubbing compound and polished with Meguiar's Natural Shine Protectant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdOODv--BSU
- Mike Row
e

Dan

When did the cherry red come on the scene, and did it replace the deeper burgandy red? I have an ITT cherry red, but not a WE.  That info isn't on Paul-F's excellent site.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

jsowers

All the reds on WE 500s are the same color. It's -53 red. It goes by many names, but it's the same red on all WE 500 sets from the beginning to the end. It's possible some have been painted and the paint has turned, or some have faded lighter or darker from UV exposure, but underneath they are all -53 red. That's why Paul's site says: "-53 Red, Cherry Red, Cardinal Red, Fiesta Red. "

Different Bells would have their own names in the early days, but they were all the same because they all came from the same plant in Indianapolis.

Briny, you definitely worked some magic on that red phone of yours. It looks fantastic.
Jonathan

Adam

Just to confuse matters, although Western Electric 53 Red never changed throughout all the decades it was manufactured, ITT *did* change their red sometime during the seventies. 

ITT Red started off the same color in appearance as Western Electric 53 Red (ITT color code 02) but some time in the seventies, they stopped making 02 Red and started making 47 Red, which they called "Cherry Red".  This red is a brighter red in appearance than the original ITT 02 Red and the Western Electric 53 Red.

AFAIK, the other Western Electric clone manufacturer, Stromberg Carlson, never changed their red.  It was the same color in appearance as Western Electric 53 Red.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Greg G.

"Cherry Red" was the seller's description, only reason I used it.  Cherries are in season now, and they're usually a deeper red than the phone, although it varies.  Personally, I would call the phone blood red.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: jsowers on August 11, 2011, 12:14:24 PM

Briny, you definitely worked some magic on that red phone of yours. It looks fantastic.

Thanks.  Fortunately, it was just the handset that needed most of the work, nothing else was sanded.  I used some rubbing compound on the handset after sanding it, then the polisher.  I started with somewhat higher grits than normal, 800, 1k, then 2k, but the white stuff was deeper than I thought, so it took a little more effort.  I did the dial bezel with only the rubbing compound and polisher.  It's odd how the cradle ears created a shadow on the handset, but the ears themselves did not have the same discoloration.
- Mike Row
e

cihensley@aol.com

Quote from: Brinybay on August 11, 2011, 05:10:22 PM

It's odd how the cradle ears created a shadow on the handset, but the ears themselves did not have the same discoloration.

I find that is the usual case. And I find the shadow is hard to remove without sanding.

Chuck