"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE- ? Flush Type Wall Phone

Started by stub, June 28, 2011, 12:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

Hi ,
    Another AE e-bay acquisition. I don't have this one in any of my catalogs . Anyone have a model number for this phone? ???
      This phone came in with a 41 handset ( chrome bands  ;D)  but it has a 38 hook. I had a extra 38 handset that will go with this phone. I put the 41 handset on my AE-50 and it looks great. Phone works great.

Terry - which type of handset cord? straight or coiled?  cloth or rubber?              Thanks,   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Nice find Ken. I have never seen any of the usual numbering for that phone. One would expect it to be a 45 or maybe a 55 since the modern version is a 95. But since it now has a type 38 handset maybe it should be a 35 but that number is already taken for the wall phone version of the 34.

There is an older version of this phone out there too with seperate handset and receiver. No idea what it's number is either.

As for handset cords, any phone with a type 38 handset would have likely come with a cloth cord I would think. Other than the AE type 1A phone, all phones using the type 38 handset were discontinued by 1940 or so. Therefore I think any phone that originally came with a type 38 would have come with a cloth cord.

Terry

stub

Terry- This phone used the same mounting plate from 1929 (AE Bulletin No. 1015, pg. 21 ) but changed the hook and added the handset.. Here's the pic. The induction coil on this one is a 3 winding  281901A ( pri-3-4 = 18 ohms, sec-1-2 =21 ohms , tertiary- 5-6 = 205 ohms )  used for anti-sidetone( AE's triad-type circuit ) .  They were used in hotels and theaters, the elevator model was different. That's about all I know about this phone......
          I thought the cords were available in rubber-covered ( high humidity ) and cloth also?  Anyway ...Thanks,  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

rdelius

That panel might be solid brass
Robby

stub

rdelius ,
             Yes it is ....stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

No one seems to have much of an understanding of AE numbering schemes. There are the familiar model numbers like 40's and 50's. These phones frequently have numbers on them such as L4123, L4035, PL5100 etc. Then there are the D numbers which usually look something like D-780504-A41.

I'm wondering if the familiar model numbers such as 40 and 50 are derived from the (usually) L numbers. For example, here's an Ivory 40 with it's D number - D-780504-A41 and it's L number - L4125.

Stub posted the pictures of the older flush model phone above with L961 and L962 versions. I wonder if they might have generally been referred to as Model 9 from the digit following the L number like the 40's and 50's are. I haven't seen any other AE 9's listed anywhere so far.

I know that you might say that in my example the L number is 4125 so why isn't it an AE 41 desk phone. There are L40 and L41 ranges of numbers used for the 40 as with the model 50 as well. Also, I notice that the 3 line AE 47 usually has L4111 or L4106 on them so it appears more that the L number refers to a general design of a phone and then individual modifications and versions such as the AE 47 still  get L numbers in the 40 and 41 range.

Just thinking out loud as one day I would love to solve more of the AE numbering mystery.

Terry

rdelius

Some of the type numbers were based on dates.
Robby

AE_Collector

Quote from: rdelius on June 28, 2011, 05:48:20 PM
Some of the type numbers were based on dates.
Robby

Yes that appears to be a factor as well. From the time of the AE 34 and 35 at least those model numbers very closely match the dates of the phone model being introduced. For example, the 34 in 1934 and the 35 in 1935. The dates don't always seem to match the year exactly but of course maybe the 34 desk and 35 wall were introduced at the same time so they couldn't BOTH have the same (year) number.

Of course that fact doesn't prevent what I said in my previous post. Maybe they gave a product an "L" number that began with the last two digits of the year. Maybe on Jan 1 1940 the first new product or product redesign was assigned Lnumber L4001 and progressed through the year. That could account for the many L numbers into the 41xx range. However it doesn't account for the thought that the AE 40 was introduced in late 1938 or maybe early 1949.

Another departure from this numbering was the AE 50. Obviously not introduced 10 years after the AE 40. I've always assumed that the model number 40 and 50 were take offs on the last digits of their predecesors, the 34 and 35. If they were going to 40 desk and 50 wall numbering (which they kept for the later 80 desk and 90 wall) why didn't they call the 183 spacemaker (wall ONLY phone) a 193? Same for the AE 43 and AE 83 Space Savers..should have been AE 53 and 93 shouldn't they? AE 47 desk works but there was also a 44 (steel painted black) wall phone.

So the models from AE 34, 35 and 40 (maybe the 43, 44 & 47 as well) seemed to follow the year of introduction. After that it fell apart.

Prior to the AE 34 & 35 some AE model numbers may have followed the year of introduction idea but I'm not convinced. It looks to me as though they started numbering models at #1 with the NEW "Monophones". Monophone refers to the concept of the transmitter AND receiver all in one unit, the handset. This began for AE in 1926 when they introduced the AE 1 (less dial) and then right after the AE 1A (dial). Then they progressed through many models giving some ideantical looking phones 2 or even 3 different model numbers to account for different types of receivers in most cases. I think that somewhere along the way, the new model numbers began to align closely enough witht he year that they changed to that set of tracks for awhile at least (as discussed above).

So what about the models prior to the AE 1 in 1926? I am very vague on any numbering schemes for these AE phones but others seem to have some ideas what some of them were. The stairstep candlesticks and even the strowgers? The most modern AE stick is a 21 but I would say that was a redesign that while not in 1921, it would have been later than that and just fit in numerically at 21. The type 1 was already in existance but it and its new Monophone handset didn't take over the world. There was still need for Candlesticks and the 21 very obviously has the type 1 bakelite base with dial.

I'm just talking out loud here still and any input is appreciated.

Terry

bingster

Quote from: AE_collector on June 28, 2011, 06:26:42 PM
Another departure from this numbering was the AE 50. Obviously not introduced 10 years after the AE 40.

Not knowing anything about AE phones, I'm going to add my two cents, anyway. ;D

Don't discount late introductions in wall phones.  For example, most newbies assume the WE 354 was introduced at the same time as the 302, when preposterously, it didn't show up for at least ten years.  Is that a possibility with the AE 40 and 50?
= DARRIN =

rdelius

There was no big gap on the AE wall and desk sets, possibly one year around 1938 or so. I do wonder why it took so long to introduce the 352 set.
Robby

AE_Collector

Both the AE 50 and the AE 90 were introduced after their desk phone counterparts but only a year or two later at most. I put this down to the fact that desk phones were steadily gaining in popularity after almost everyone had wall phones earlier on. So there was more demand for desk phones AND as desk phones were installed, many wall phones were removed leaving the Telco's with stocks of redeployable wall phones.

A large part of the delay in the 354 introduction must have been due to the war? What are the approximate dates for 302 and 354?

Terry

Kenny C

Quote from: AE_collector on June 29, 2011, 11:32:37 AM

A large part of the delay in the 354 introduction must have been due to the war? What are the approximate dates for 302 and 354?

Terry

From what I've read, they were using Field trial 302's in 1936. Also I've read that 354s were introduced in 1945-6.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

rdelius

The earliest 352 I have seen was 1947.It is difficult to reassembble one if it has been taken apart and left apart. The shrink badly in height.A modular 554 back plate will fit one.
Robby

AE_Collector

So it sounds to me as though the 354 quite possibly would have been introduced 5 years earlier if the war wasn't in progress. Here in Canada (we were in WW2 from 1939) by 1942 it was almost impossible to get any new phone equipment unless it was directly for the war effort.

Terry