News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg 900 Masterphone Wiring Question

Started by cloyd, June 12, 2015, 08:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloyd

Hello all!  I need help interpreting the wiring diagram for my Kellogg Pyramid phone.  It doesn't ring (buzz), no dial tone, no dialing etc. but I could here some soft static.  I have included pictures and explanations as well as a list of the current wiring.

If someone would be so kind as to look over this information and let me know what is right and what is wrong.  Also, please educate me on the names of the parts that I have numbered in the diagram.  I am also removing the buzzer and replacing it with a ringer and I want to know if it should be wired in the same way as the buzzer.

I have tried to look at photos from online but the wiring just isn't clear enough and the Kellogg diagrams are rather cryptic to me.

Handset to Hookswitch (switchhook?)
   Red to RD
   Green to GN
   Yellow to Y
#1 out
   top right     Blk/Orange wire    to hookswitch YL
   bottom right    Blk wire       to hookswitch GN
   top left    Blk/Orange       to (#2) C1
   bottom left    Blk wire       to (#2) C3
Hookswitch out
   GN      Green/White wire    to (#3) 53
   BR      Brown wire       to (#3) 2
   YL      Tan? wire       to (#2) L2
Buzzer:  removing to replace with a ringer
         Blk wire      to (#2) L1
         Blk wire      to (#2) L2
110A Ringer
   right wire   Blk wire      to (#2) L1 ??????
left wire   Blk wire      to (#2) L2
does it matter which wire (left & right) goes to which terminal?

Thank you in advance for the help!

Tina Loyd

-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

Welsh

has anyone helped you with your phone yet? I may be able to help as i just got mine working with ringer. it is common to have a broken wire in the cords. Bar any broken wires in your cords or handset cord or bad components condenser or induction coil, its pretty straight forward. make sure there inst anything interfering with the hangup button rollers and contacts. then make sure your 4 prong plug/ modular plug is wired correctly. Also make sure you have the right ringer. if it is the wrong one you can suck the juice out of your phone system and none of your phones will ring effectively killing your phone line until it is disconnected again. ( no permanent damage) My main cord has a 4 prong plug with 2 wires and a ground wire unlike a modular plug which has 2 wires each for 2 lines and no ground. Kellogg cloth wiring has different colored wires than the later rubber insulated wire but we can use the same principals to figure out where the wires go. kellogg cloth has red/brown, green/brown yellow/brown rattlesnake pattern cloth wires and in the phone itself there are more colors also. Brown, Black, yellow, blue/red, red/white. the majority of the connections will be soldered so don't worry about any of those and don't try to change any of them unless there is clearly a broken connection at one of those soldered locations. Position your phone upside down and remove the bottom. Place the Phone so the square induction coil  is away from you and the gray rectangular condenser is closest to you. Just your side of the coil is a plate with 5 connections marked as follows starting from left to right. C3 C1 L2 L1 GND . C3 should have 2 black wires to it, one each from condenser and coil. C1 should have 3 wires to it if you have a ringer one black from the ringer and 2 blue/red wires one each from the condenser and coil. L2 should have a yellow wire from your cord and a yellow wire from the YL connection of the cradle button. L1 should have 1 black ringer wire and 2 red wires one from your cord the other going to the induction coil. and the GND is the last one on the end where you connect the green ground wire from your cord. If your ringer is in place it should be screwed directly to the bottom plate of the phone with the bells pointing out the small holes on the bottom plate and 2 paper wrapped windings with the clapper between them and a black wire going off each side of the windings. these connect to C1 and L1.

other colors of wiring in 3 wire cords can be red white and black.  the color corresponds like this white is green and black is yellow and red is red. The best thing you can do is to get someone to check your cord for correct polarity and wire continuity with a Simpson or fluke milti-meter / ohm-meter when plugged in to make sure the wire connections are correctly connected inside your 4 prong plug. the old wires can have fragile insulation so you don't want to play with them too much or you can get a short by cracking the insulation on old rubber or old vinyl wiring. These phones are polarity sensitive. (L2 yellow is the negative) and( L1 red is the positive) connection. also, I recommend care while pushing all the wires in while closing up the phone, making sure you aren't pinching any wires against soldered connections while closing this phone up as it is very crowded with the ringer on the bottom. Make sure the ringer has freedom to move without the wires obstructing the moving parts at the end.  don't get shocked by the alternating ringer current while test calling the phone. that would be very unpleasant. first check for dial tone. press the plunger a couple of times to make sure your ringer isn't interfering with your phone line and that the disconnect and reconnect contacts are working well in the cradle. Then call yourself with a cell phone to see if your land line is ringing and whether the phone ringer is working.  I hope this helps.

p.s. I think you are right to question the hand set wiring. you may have to look in the hand set under the transmitter unit to see which wire is connected to the different locations. they may have just switched the wire colors when they replaced the old cloth lines. The color wires I gave are correct for the old wire scheme using vintage replacement wire. it may be whoever replaced your wires thought the positive and negative were the red and green. I don't know. and if you have a correct ringer definitely take the buzzer out.

Re second to Last photo:
I Took my 4 prong plug apart to take a picture of how it is wired and just to make sure I tested different configurations to make sure it has to be wired this way. I have a modular adapter plug that the 4 prong is plugged into and hence the winging color scheme is different in the plug than in the phone. as I said new wiring plugs/modular plugs are wired this way: red and green the 2 center wires are your phone lines for line one. black and yellow the next color wires out from the center are line 2 as in a fax or second separate phone line then as you add phone lines your modular plug has to have  more wire connections out from those colors blue and white on either side of the previous 4 and so on. this is solid color scheme. some times wiring can be striped. here is a link to a modular wiring schematic on another blog with pictures.
http://wiringradar.blogspot.com/2013/04/modular-jack-wiring-jack-pins-numbered.html
Be sure you connect your wires as they are in the picture if you have a 4 prong old style plug!!!
Also My phone appears to have a 116 G ringer if your 110 doesn't work see if you can find one like mine. I got mine from phonecoinc.com in Wisconsin.

NorthernElectric

Tina made a similar post here and got several replies to it.  She doesn't say in that topic if she was successful or not.
Cliff